[MOL] ZD1839 CLINICAL TRIALS FOR LUNG CANCER [00984] Medicine On Line

[MOL] ZD1839 CLINICAL TRIALS FOR LUNG CANCER

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a family member who has non-small cell lung
cancer, Stage IV. It is in both lungs and has metastasized to the lymph
nodes in the Mediatstynum. His physician has indicated that he is an ideal
candidate for ZD1839. He tests positive for EGF (epidermal growth factor),
which bodes well for his responding well to this drug. The problem is that
time is of the essence, and the next trials (phase III) aren't to begin for
at least a couple of months. We are desperately looking into the concept of
compassionate pleas where a patient can get the drugs outside the confines
of a clinical trial when time is of the essence. It is our understanding
that one must write directly to the drug company for this. We are trying to
find out how does one go about getting such a thing? Exactly who do we write
at AstraZeneca? Should we phone? Should the physician write as well?

If anyone can offer any assistance at all in this matter, we would be deeply
grateful.

Thank you.