Re: [MOL] Question/Chris [00897] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Question/Chris

Welcome to our forum Chris!

I am both a patient and a caregiver; so I guess this mean's I can give six
answers, right????  Winking!

As a patient:

1.  Warmth, someone who speaks gently and lovingly like your the only person
in the hospital. They touch your arm gently or your hand and you realize you
are still alive.

2.  Someone to sponge bath, let you brush your teeth, wash your face.  I was
in the hospital for nine days before I could even sit up and not once, well
you know the aroma was something else.  I could hardly stand myself. Then
when I could get up the first few days I was so weak and very much drugged
and had to do it all myself.  I got caught or tangled in my hospital gown
(yes, the same one) around my neck and went into a panic attack.

3.  Someone who truly knows how to draw blood; etc.  Every vein in my arms
were broken down because of people trying.  Normally I always had wonderful
veins.  They ended up using the upper part of my arm where the vein is
larger and this worked very well.  It also made sleeping easier and the IV
monitor not go off so much.

As A caregiver:

1.  What to do when the patient refuses to eat, spits the food out; etc.

2.   How to move a patient without breaking your back.

3.  Talk  me through things.  When my mother-in-law was dying the nurse
walked me through all the phases of death.  What to look for, what to do and
how best to make the patient comfortable.  I would watch this nurse every
move and her actions taught me so much.  I have never forgotten her.

more....