Re: [MOL] Question [00895] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Question

In a message dated 05/20/2000 1:27:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Flick3233@AOL.COM writes:

> Hello,
>  My name is Chris Richards and I am an oncology nurse.  I am curious from a
>  patient and care-giver perspective, what would be your 3 biggest needs in
> the area of education from a health care professional?
>  >  Thanks for your time and effort,>  Chris

Speaking for myself as a caregiver (and for my father - a pt.) I would have
to say that our "unmet" needs have not been so much in education but in some
empathy and better communication with doctors. Education can be questioned
and answers can be found, but when doctors do not communicate openly with
family and caregivers that is much harder to address.  In our case, the
doctor was often "put off" by the family's questions and later, demand for
answers.  At this time, she won't even answer phone calls when I need to know
if a food I've prepared for my father is even permissible for him to have.
-chris rosati