Re: [MOL] cancer markers/REPLY! [00871] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] cancer markers/REPLY!

Connie, welcome to our wonderful forum.  You will be meeting some of the
best people who walk the face of this earth here.

Please know that we are not in the medical profession, we are on the cancer
journey, caregivers and loved ones; so I will only be rendering an opinion.

Tumor markers are basically a helping guide.  In other words once
established, a doctor then monitors, if the markers go up it is an
indication that something is wrong.  This something is not always cancer
however.  Sometimes it can be an infection, or several other things.  It
alerts the doctor as to rule out all else and then to proceed.

I am a breast cancer survivor, all tumor markers are not the same Connie.
For breast cancer anything over a 35 is reason for suspicion.  I would have
to assume that either you are not a breast cancer survivor or that your
marker is very high and certainly needs attention from your doctor.  If this
is not done, then I would suggest that you get a second opinion from another
doctor.

Warmly, your friend, lillian

more....