This article is  The Morning Call Newspaper Company

Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2000
Page: A07
Edition: EIGHTH
Section: NATIONAL
Column:

Corrections:
Memo:Text of E-mail, attached to end of story.

WRONG TURN LANDED E-MAIL RIGHT ON CALL REPORTER'S DESK 'JUST BAD LUCK,' SAYS
CONSULTANT WHO FUMBLED WHAT ONE CALLS A SMOKING E-GUN.
by MARIO F. CATTABIANI, The Morning Call

Don Wooley knew something wasn't quite right when he opened the e-mail.
The retired pawnbroker from Lawton, Okla., didn't know the sender -- or
anyone in Pennsylvania for that matter.

He couldn't follow exactly what was being discussed. It dealt with politics
-- a hobby of his -- and spin control in a state 1,300 miles away. That much
was for sure. And it looked confidential, too. That intrigued him. So he set
out to make sense of it all.

His first stop was the Republican National Committee in Washington, D.C.,
He's donated money to the RNC before and, besides, he had a toll-free number.
An operator there put him in touch with party officials in the Keystone
State, who in turn directed Wooley to The Morning Call.
"I have something that might interest you," Wooley told a Call reporter.
Wooley, who considers "liberalism at the root of the country's ills," decided
to invest the time on the e-mail because "it looked like it might be some
kind of a cover-up that could help our side."

Still, Wooley, 54, was at a loss to explain how he wound up with the e-mail
in the first place. Perhaps his name was wrongly stuck on some large e-mail
forwarding list. Or maybe a server misfired somewhere along the line, he
speculated.

The answer is far less technical and offers a lesson for the computer age:
When you're sending e-mail, check -- and double-check -- the address.
Ken Snyder didn't.
The media consultant sent the memo to his boss, state Sen. Vincent Fumo, who
added a few thoughts and returned it. Snyder thought he was forwarding the
combined memo and reply to Howard Cain, another of the senator's consultants.
But Snyder mistakenly inverted two letters in Cain's America Online address,
sending the document to Wooley instead.
"Just bad luck," Snyder said.

Text of E-mail
Editor's note: Here is the e-mail as written with the addresses omitted.