[MOL] The study of hepatic arterial infusion of chemotherapy after resec [00816] Medicine On Line

[MOL] The study of hepatic arterial infusion of chemotherapy after resection.....

The study of hepatic arterial infusion of chemotherapy after resection of hepatic metastases in patients with colorectal cancer, reported by Kemeny et al. (Dec. 30 issue), (1) represents a positive development in the management of colorectal cancer. However, clinicians planning to use this therapy may be confused by the dosages reported in the article. By convention, the dosage for hepatic intraarterial chemotherapy is based on the amount of drug delivered to the patient. Since infusion devices have variable flow rates and deliver only part of their contents in 14 days, the total dose of floxuridine placed in the device is much more than the dose the patient receives.