RE: [MOL] Dusti [00424] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Dusti

Dusti

Hi, I don't often post messages onto the forum, but wanted to let you know
what its like over here in England regarding Hospices.   Unfortunately,
England is split into segments when it comes to health care, some areas
offer excellent healthcare, others, though still good, are underfunded and
can not help as much.

My Nan was diagnosed with Cancer of the Colon in 1998, and underwent a
series of operations, Chemo and Radiotherapy.  Though at one point it looked
like she was winning the battle, the Cancer returned, and it was decided by
her onc. that there was no more treatment that could be offered.

After staying in hospital for about 6 weeks, a space in a hospice was found
for her.  I was very worried about her being moved into the hospice, as like
so many other people, all I know was that they were a place people go to to
die.  Before Nan moved in, we were invited to visit the hospice and meet the
staff that would be looking after her.

The place was lovely, almost like a 5 start hotel, but with hospital beds,
and equipment.  All the staff, whether they were the doctors and nurses,
carers, cooks, cleaners treated the patients there like royalty.  If they
didn't like the food, someone would go and buy them what they fancied.  I
even joked with Nan that I was going to be booked into the next bed.

I'm not sure if the hospice you and Bess talk about is a home visit hospice,
but whatever, I bet you get an excellent team, who know and understand
exactly how to help you through this difficult time, and how to ensure you
mum passes peacefully into he next journey.

Take care,

David