Re: [MOL] KATHY Q/back to Lil [00078] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] KATHY Q/back to Lil

Hi Lillian,

You do keep track of me, don'tcha girlfriend!!!  Tommy is still in ICU, for
at least one more day.  His potassium level is still way down and they are
very concerned about the fluid in his lungs.  And of course his counts
(white, platelets, etc.) are still very low.  But the barfing's finally
diminishing and there's no more sign of internal bleeding.  They got some
tentative positive news on the bone marrow biopsy from last week, but are
waiting for the full report before counting it as totally positive.

The biggest problem with ICU is there are so many really sick people there
requiring constant monitoring that it's impossible for either Tommy or Wendy
to get much interrupted sleep.  Wendy stays with him overnight anytime he's
having a hard time unless she's convinced he's got a nurse on shift she
approves of...  What a gal!!!

I am so glad he realizes that when I come by he doesn't have to "visit" with
me.  If he wants to talk, fine.  If he just wants to sleep, fine.  Mostly
right now, because Wendy is in overdrive as a caretaker, I'm trying to make
sure she too is taken care of.  Making sure she eats good stuff and has a ear
to listen and a shoulder to cry on.  Her mom and dad are doing the same.

One of my friends asked me today if I was getting tired of the roller coaster
ride.  I said "no way".  I'll take Tommy alive and on as many turns as the
roller coaster has to offer.  It doesn't mean that it's not exhausting for
Wendy and other primary caregivers.  What I do for them doesn't hold a candle
to what Wendy does for Tommy and what he must be doing for himself.  But, I
hear so clearly what Nanc and other caregivers have said.  No matter how much
the cancer patient or the caregiver wishes for a respite (regardless of how
brief), we all gladly embrace the ride just to have our loved ones stay with
us.

How the heck are you doing Lillian?  I'm still trying to plan a trip down
your way... we'll see if I can pull it off...

Love ya,  Kathy