Re: [MOL] tamoxafin/Reply [02238] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] tamoxafin/Reply

Hi and welcome to our wonderful forum.  I am including some information for
you regarding the drug tamoxifen to help you in making a wise decision.
Hope you stay and talk with us, warmly, your friend, lillian

#1 Breast Cancer Tamoxifen Drug Increases Risk of Uterine Cancer,Hot
Flashes, and Blood
Clots

Tamoxifen, the drug name for a synthetic estrogen compound that blocks
natural estrogen from binding with
receptor sites in breast tissue, has recently been recommended as a
prevention measure for women in the
high risk area for breast cancer. But research indicates that it is also
potentially dangerous and may cause
uterine cancer.

A just-completed nine-year study in Sweden found that Tamoxifen
increases the possibility of developing
uterine cancer by more than five times. Twenty-three of the 1,372
patients in the study developed uterine
cancer when taking the drug, compared with only 4 who took a placebo
instead. Another study conducted by a
health institute produced similar results after 6.8 years of follow-up
research.

Roughly one million American breast-cancer patients are being treated
with Tamoxifen. It is now
recommended for all pre-menopausal women with hormone-positive cancers;
for most postmenopausal
women with breast cancer; and a growing number of women with
hormone-negative cancers.

Tamoxifen was originally hailed as a breakthrough drug because by
blocking estrogen, it kept breast
receptors free from an unwanted build-up of this hormone. Estrogen has
been linked to many types of female
cancers. But many alternative practitioners have found that an excess of
estrogen in relationship to
progesterone (another female hormone) is partly responsible for the
onset of breast and uterine cancer.

Three years ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) formally designated
Tamoxifen a carcinogen. In
response to WHO's announcement, the National Cancer Institute and Zeneca
Pharmaceuticals, which makes
the drug, aggressively lobbied State of California regulators to keep
them from adding Tamoxifen to their list of
carcinogens, according to Science News, a mainstream publication. That
was seen by man as open evidence
of a government agency, chartered to find a cure for cancer, flagrantly
colluding with a drug company to keep a
known carcinogen on the market and prevent the public from learning of
its dangers.

During the menstruation cycle, estrogen causes uterine cells to
reproduce rapidly. Progesterone, at a specific
intervals of the cycle, regulates estrogen's effects and causes the
uterine lining to mature for a potential fetus.
But as women age, many experience an estrogen dominance as progesterone
levels decline. Without
progesterone's moderating influence, estrogen causes unabated cell
proliferation in the uterus and breasts,
which contributes to the high incidence of these cancers in pre- and
postmenopausal women.

Estrogen's natural balancing hormone-progesterone- is a more effective
cancer-fighting compound than
synthetic estrogen blockers. In his book, What Doctors May Not Tell You
About Menopause, John R. Lee. M.D.,
cites a 1995 study that examined the use of topical progesterone to
control the growth of breast cells in
premenopausal women scheduled for breast surgery. The women who used
progesterone cream had
dramatically reduced cell proliferation compared to the women who used
the placebo or estrogen creams.

Dr. Lee recommends a saliva or urine test to determine if progesterone
supplementation would be beneficial.
He also recommends herbs and foods that contain phytoestrogens (plant
hormones similar to estrogen) that
block the adverse effects of the body's estrogen. Soybeans, for example,
are rich in phytoestrogens as are the
traditional "female" herbs dong quai, licorice, and wild yam. But, Dr.
Lee warns, these herbs should be taken
in moderation under the supervision of a health-care professional and
should not be taken by pregnant
women.

more....