Re: [MOL] Re: Thanks, Dusti [02142] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Re: Thanks, Dusti

Dear Kathy,
I am shell shocked. But as one who was dx with DCIS a year ago February
i would like to pass on some of what I have learnt.

DCIS is considered stage 0. Most times a lumpectomy followed by
radiation is all that is required. However, if the DCIS - which looks
like particles of salt - is too wide spread and they won't be able to
get clean margins they go for the mastectomy. They do not touch the
nodes as in situ means that it hasn't spread. It is usually not
necessary to have radiation after a mastectomy. My surgeon gave me the
choice of lumpectomy and radiation or mastectomy. Because I was such a
basket case and not capable of making a decision my husband chose the
first option for me. And of cause then there is the wonderful tamoxifen
that I am on. July will be a year for that.

As my doctors kept telling me: "if you have to have breast cancer this
is the kind to get". It still turns my stomach. If I so much as hear
that $^&$# bird I will pluck it from the sky and leave the rest to the
imagination.

Kathy if there are any questions that want to ask me please feel free to
do so, on line or privately.

Love you,
Debby