RE: Re: [MOL] Kathy C [02108] Medicine On Line

RE: Re: [MOL] Kathy C

Kathy, you have already been through so much worse! DCIS is
considered "Stage 0," and the prognosis is *very* optimistic. I was
Stage 2, and just celebrated the 5-year mark, cancer-free. As for
implants, I was always flat-chested, but no more! When I was trying
to decide what i wanted to do, someone told me that the only thing
with implants is that they don't sag like real breasts -- they
remain perky like a 20-year old, to which I replied, "And the
problem is ----????' LOL!

And the newer ones are much more natural in shape and feel than 5
years ago. They have also come up with a way so there is only one
surgery now. When I had it done, they put in an "expander" with the
mastectomy, which they slowly pumped up over a period of weeks to
stretch the chest. Then later in a second surgery they put in the
permanent implant. Now I hear they are able to do it all in one
surgery when you have the mastectomy. They still "pump you up," but
don't have to swap implants.

One thing you will want to check on is whether you will need chemo
or radiation. I vaguely remember seeing some recent literature that
they are being more aggressive with DCIS, I think using chemo. I
know that's something you don't want to go through again, but I
don't think the chemo is as severe for breast cancer as what you had
before.

Again, Kathy, I know this is not new you wanted to hear, but this is
a cancer you beat, my friend. So get in there and shower off that
seagull poop!! Love you, Joicy