[MOL] Herceptin shows promise as treatment for certain forms of prostate [01338] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Herceptin shows promise as treatment for certain forms of prostate cancer......

HerceptinŽ, a drug used to treat breast cancer, may show promise as a treatment for certain forms of prostate cancer. In a study published in a recent issue of Cancer Research, MSKCC investigators, including Howard I. Scher, Chief of the Genitourinary Onology Service, showed that in mice with androgen-dependent tumors--those that need testosterone to grow-- tumor growth was significantly reduced when Herceptin was administered. In related research, investigators combined Herceptin with another agent, paclitaxel (TaxolŽ), in mice and found that the combination caused a significant shrinkage of tumors in both androgen-dependent and -independent disease. Clinical trials are now under way at MSKCC to evaluate both agents in patients.

The Herceptin studies described above were supported by CaP CURE, The Pepsico Foundation, and the Eleanor and Paul Stephens Foundation.