[MOL] Some patients candidates for kidney=sparing surgery.... [01336] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Some patients candidates for kidney=sparing surgery....

New and Noteworthy

A growing number of patients with kidney cancer are candidates for kidney-sparing surgery, said Dr. Paul Russo, a surgeon in MSKCC’s Department of Urology. Thanks to advances in diagnostic imaging, more and more kidney tumors are detected at early stages, when they are 4 cm and smaller. To determine which patients are best suited to kidney-sparing surgery, MSKCC physicians use information gathered in a database that charts the course of disease in more than 1,000 patients. Before the advent of this procedure--which leaves the healthy portion of the kidney intact, thereby preserving its function--surgeons removed the entire kidney, still the norm in most parts of the country. Kidney-sparing surgery accounts for 40 percent of kidney operations at MSKCC.