From: Moh4less@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:05:45 EST
Subject: "Mom"
To: kirksfam@juno.com, SugarSandDream@aol.com, ccuc@juno.com,
        Zquigglez@aol.com, linda.pl@as.net, kspoor@qnet.com,
        blckburn@networkone.net, tndrumfalo@earthlink.net, DEBGUY1396@aol.com,
        daview@bigplanet.com

--part1_38.40a8601.26175c39_boundary

<<
 A few months ago...
 when I was picking up the children at school,
 Another mother I knew well rushed up to me.

 Emily was fuming with indignation. "Do you know what you and I
 am?"she demanded.  Before I could answer and I didn't really have one
 handy she  blurted out the reason for her question.

 It seemed she had just returned from renewing her driver's
 license at The County Clerk's office.  Asked by the woman recorder to state
her
occupation, Emily had hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

  "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job, or
 are you just a...?"  "Of course I have a job," snapped Emily.  "I'm a
 mother."

 "We don't list 'mother' as an occupation...'housewife'  covers
 it" said the recorder emphatically I forgot all about her story until one
day
 I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.
 The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and
possessed of a high-sounding title like "Official Interrogator: or "Town
 Registrar." "And what is your occupation? "she probed.

 What made me say it, I do not know.  The words simply popped
 out.  "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human
 Relations."

 The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair, and looked up
 as though she had not heard right.  I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing
 the most significant words.  Then I stared with wonder as my pompous
pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

 "Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you
 do in your  field? Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard
myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research (what mother
 doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field (normally I would have said
indoors
 and out)

I'm working for my Masters (the whole darned family) and already have four
credits (all daughters).  Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in
the humanities (any mother care  to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a
day (24 is more like it).  But the job is more challenging than most
run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are in satisfaction rather than just
money."

  There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she
 completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

 As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I
 was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 3.  Upstairs I
 could hear our  new experimental model (6 months) in the child-development
 program, testingout a new vocal pattern. I felt triumphant!  I had scored a
beat
 on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone
 more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another mother."

 Motherhood...what a glorious career.  Especially when there's a
 title on the door. Send this to another Mother you know.  Whether a stay at
 home Mom or a career Mom, We should all carry this title.> "Your attitude
determines your altitude."

--part1_38.40a8601.26175c39_boundary