Re: [MOL] HBO Special/Peggy [02434] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] HBO Special/Peggy

Lil,

It will be showing up again on HBO and as soon as it does I will tape it this
time.  We tuned in a few minutes late and I got lazy and didn't setup the
taping.  But I will.  They did mention that more people are living with rather
than dying from cancer today.  A doctor they interviewed gave a wonderful
interview telling everyone that the biggest misconception is that cancer is a
death sentence. They went  over the most common cancers, explaining how many new
each year, how many die each year.  They followed serveral people thru a few
types of cancers and showed them to be in an on-going fight, with two of them
dying.  The show could have had more impact in the survivor arena.  Anyone not
involved in the fight might have tuned out because it seemed to be clinical and
somewhat depressing if you're not actively involved yourself.  The best part of
the entire show was the encouragement to join clinical trials, with info about
how to find out about trials, why they are needed and what it would mean if
people joined them.  You can see more about this show at www.HBO.com, they are
leaving the links on their site for up to 6 months.

The surgery was on colon cancer - they cut out a foot section of a woman's bowel
that had cancer.  It amazes me that it is hard to tell the cancer tumors the
regular cells by the naked eye.  It appeared to be an eruption at one spot and
in another more like a thickness of the bowel lining.  Real interesting.  I will
copy and send toyou when it comes on again, I'm sure it'll be really soon.

Peggy