[MOL] Breast implants remain popular despite controversy [02224] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Breast implants remain popular despite controversy

Gee, maybe it was the implants instead of the chemo that has made me so
foggy-headed, LOL! Love, Joicy

Breast implants remain popular despite controversy
    [03/28/2000; Cable News Network]

(WebMD) -- Forty-year-old Patty Faussett of Las Vegas always thought
of herself as the organized type: She balanced a full-time career,
taking care of four children and tending to her home. So after
her youngest was born, she decided it was time to plan a little
something for herself.

"My breasts had become unpleasant to look at," she remembers.
"So I thought about implants." She had saline-implant surgery
in May 1997.

Eight months later, Faussett's vision became blurry and she complained
of a "foggy head." "I'd find buckets of cleaning water left all
over the house because I'd started something and left it unfinished,"
she says. "I didn't want to believe that the implants caused
my sickness, but I kept saying, 'I want my old self back.'" Just
a month later, she had her implants removed.

Faussett was only one of 43,681 women in the United States who
had their implants removed in 1998, according to the American
Society of Plastic Surgeons. They found that 93 percent of the
implants were removed because of physical symptoms, such as deflation,
leakage, infection or capsular contracture -- a hardening of
the scar tissue that forms around any type of implant.

Still, more women than ever -- some 300 percent more than in 1992
-- are going under the knife to obtain larger breasts. Plastic
surgeons in the United States performed at least 130,000 breast
augmentation surgeries last year, the majority of which used
saline, or saltwater-filled, implants, says the society.

The full article can be found at:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/women/03/27/implants.remove.wmd/index.html