[MOL] Doctors warn against big doses of vitamin C during cancer treatmen [02222] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Doctors warn against big doses of vitamin C during cancer treatment

More info on the Vit. C debate...actually, I think I was taking quite a bit
of Vit. C during my treatment. Oh well! Love, Joicy

Doctors warn against big doses of vitamin C during cancer treatment
    [03/28/2000; Cable News Network]

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Cancer patients who take large doses of vitamin
C in the hope of a cure might actually make their disease worse
by inadvertently protecting their tumors from radiation and chemotherapy,
new research suggests.

Doctors caution they cannot prove the vitamin is harmful during
cancer treatment. But they say there are strong biological reasons
to think megadoses could be bad.

The concern is based on the discovery that cancer cells actually
contain large amounts of vitamin C, which appears to protect
them from oxygen damage. Many cancer treatments, especially radiation
therapy, work by triggering oxygen damage to the genes of cancer
cells.

Dr. David Golde, physician-in-chief at Memorial Sloan-Kettering
Cancer Center in New York City, warned against too much vitamin
C in a presentation Monday at a meeting of the American Cancer
Society.

The full article can be found at:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/cancer/03/27/cancer.vitaminc.ap/index.html