[MOL] radiation therapy and advanced non-small cell lung cancer [01424] Medicine On Line

[MOL] radiation therapy and advanced non-small cell lung cancer

My father was diagnosed with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (stage
IIIb or stageIV; adenocarcenoma) in late December.  He also has Chronic
Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.  He is trying to decide whether or not to
have radiation therapy and if so, how much.  His choices are to have 15
treatments now or to just have treatment when symptoms occur.  He is
worried that having 15 radiation treatments now will make his breathing
much worse and he already experiences significant shortness of breath.
On the other hand, we have been told that 15 treatments now could add ~
3 months to his life expectancy.  Could anyone add their comments or
experiences that might help my father to make his decision?  Thanks so
much.