[MOL] Medical errors becoming major research focus [00618] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Medical errors becoming major research focus

Medical errors becoming major research focus
    [03/07/2000; Reuters News Service]

ATLANTA, Mar 06 (Reuters Health) -- Medical errors are
the fifth leading cause of death in the US and cost about
$29 billion a year, according to a recent Institute of Medicine
report. Preventing them will require research, surveillance and
new strategies, the chief of a federal healthcare quality agency
said on Sunday. ``If the fifth leading cause of death was a disease,
we'd invest hundreds of millions of dollars trying to understand
its cause and research for new drugs,'' said Dr. John Eisenberg,
director of the US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
''We've got to pay that kind of attention to this cause of death.''

The full article can be found at:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000306/hl/psh_1.html