Re: [Re: [MOL] to lillian] [00446] Medicine On Line

Re: [Re: [MOL] to lillian]

thanks, i can see already this is a good place to belong to.  thanks for the
info and lsit of questions.  im going tomorrow to see my d.rs and i hope they
have better news.  I have to go, ive been getting chemo and this time i'm
sick.  i will write replies to other people who wrote later, but thank s to
them in advance.  andy
"Lillian" <firefly@islc.net> wrote:
> [...]
> these consultations and sessions with your doctor.
>
> It is also important to get your healthcare team to treat you as a whole
> person, not just cells inside a body.  Let the team know about what you do
> for a living, your family situation, your future goals or plans.  Be sure
> discuss what impact treatments may have on your life.
>
> There are many specific questions about certain diseases; however, below
are
> listed suggestions for general questions you should ask at the time of your
> diagnosis and follow-up sessions, and questions about continuing care.

> ----
>

> QUESTIONS TO ASK ABOUT THE DIAGNOSIS
>
> What is my diagnosis?   What is the stage of the disease?  Is it localized?
> Is it extended around an organ?  Has it spread?  Is my condition genetic?
> Is the diagnosis uncertain?  What should I tell my family and children?
> Where can I go for counseling?
>

> QUESTIONS TO ASK ABOUT TREATMENT OPTIONS
>
> What are my treatment choices, which do you recommend for me and why? How,
> where, when and how often will treatment be given? What are my treatment
> choices, which do you recommend for me and why? How, where, when and how
> often will treatment be given? What is the goal of treatment-cure or
control
> of my symptoms? Is the treatment experimental, controversial or risky? What
> are all of the possible side effects? Are there safe and effective
> treatments to control these side effects? How much time may I take to weigh
> my treatment options without harming my chances for recovery? What happens
> if I skip one or more treatment sessions due to side effects or scheduling
> problems? How will I know if the treatment is working? How long will
> treatment last? What are the names of the drugs I will take? May I drink
> alcoholic beverages? Are there any special foods I should or should not
eat?
> Will I have to change my normal activities? Will I be able to have children
> after treatment? Are there options to preserve my fertility prior to
> treatment? What are some signs of infection that may occur during
treatment?
> Would this treatment aggravate or intensify any medical condition I already
> have? Will there be interactions with other medications I am taking? Does
my
> age influence the side effects? Since my mouth may be affected by
treatment,
> should I see a dentist before starting treatment? Will the treatment affect
> me emotionally or sexually? What will happen if I decide to do nothing? Are
> there other options offered elsewhere? When treatments are completed, how
> often would I need to see you? Will other therapies be needed? Will the
> disease or treatment affect my ability to work or care for my family? Will
> my insurance or managed care plan cover all of the costs of treatment?

I'm
> > trying to find out all I can because I have it and it spread to my lymph
> nodes
> > in dec. when it was diagnosed and now tomorrow I find out the results if
> it
> > has spread more.  I'm real scared and this has helped. What do I do on
> this
> > forum? I need help.  Thank you, Andy
> >

> > "Lillian" <firefly@islc.net> wrote:
> > > We sure do friend, here's the list of sites that will help you and if
we
> > may
> > > be of further help jump right in and ask.
> > >

> > > 1. Welcome to Melanoma.com
> > > Welcome to Melanoma.com, your source for information on melanoma and
its
> > > treatment. Get information about melanoma skin cancer prevention,
> > diagnosis,
> > > and adjuvant therapy with INTRON® A (Interferon alfa-2b, recombinant)
> for
> > > Injection. Learn to do a self
> > > http://www.melanoma.com/
> > >

> > > 2. Melanoma Patients' Information Page
> > > Providing the support and information you need to be a proactive
> > participant
> > > in your treatment decisions. ** New ** Melanoma Awareness Month
Planning
> > > Selected readings tailored to a patient's stage Recommended readings by
> > > melanoma patients and their
> > > http://www.mpip.org/
> > >

> > > 3. Clinical Grade Shark Cartilage for brain cancer, melanoma, breast
> > cancer,
> > > adencarinoma, cerberal tumors, prostate cancer, astrocytoma,
liposarcoma
> > > metastatic lung cancer, carcinoma If you or someone you love has cancer
> > > explore your options! Only in USA 600,000 patients with cancer will die
> > this
> > > year. More than 1 million people are going to be told by their doctors,
> You
> > > have cancer. Conventional
> > > http://www.anaturalchoice.com/index.shtml
> > >

> > > 4. Mike's Page - The Melanoma Resource Center
> > > Not unto us, Oh Lord, Not unto us, but unto Thy Name give
Glory...Psalms
> > > 115:1 Translate this page to the language of your choice Espanoles,
> > > Francais, Deutsche, Italiani, Portugeses Michael Tustison 1966 - 1996
> This
> > > Page is lovingly dedicated to the
> > > http://www.tustison.com/interests1.html
> > >

> > > 5. W.H.O. Melanoma Programme Web Site
> > > Editor's Choice 1997 Award! WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION Welcome from the
> > > President (Natale Cascinelli MD) WHOMP Story | List of Institutions |
> WHOMP
> > > Events Reports | Trials | Newsletter | Guest Book Members List | Links
|
> > > Registration | Email WHOMP Last Hour
> > > http://www.who-melanoma.org/default.htm
> > >

> > > 6. Melanoma Research
> > > CancerTrials.comDeveloping Novel Therapies for Melanoma Treatment
> Melanoma
> > > Vaccines Rationale The treatment of patients with melanoma is primarily
> > > surgical. Despite appropriate surgical treatment, however, many
patients
> > > will go on to die of their disease
> > > http://www.cancertrials.com/research.html
> > >

> > > 7. Redding Dermatology - Skin Cancer, Melanoma, Pimples, Nail Fungus,
> > > Rosacea, Cosmetic, Acne, Wart
> > > Your Guide to Mole Types and Removal Techniques. Visit our Archive of
> > > Previous Tips. Causes and descriptions of the most prevalent of all
> > cancers.
> > > Skin Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment Methods. About the sun's rays,
their
> > > effects, and how to protect yourself
> > > http://www.reddingdermatology.com/
> > >

> > > 8. Melanoma Research Foundation Home Page
> > > Frames / No-frames Dedicated to Finding a Cure... Because Tomorrow Is
> Too
> > > Late... Every hour of every day of the year, a human being dies of
> melanoma
> > > in the United States. Melanoma strikes people of all ages, all races,
> all
> > > economic levels and both sexes
> > > http://www.melanoma.org/
> > >

> > > 9. Living with Melanoma
> > > CancerTrials.comDeveloping Novel Therapies for Melanoma Treatment
> Referring
> > > Patients with Melanoma For patients with unresectable Stage IV disease,
> > > referral directly to Dr. Grosh is generally the most efficient. For
> > patients
> > > with melanomas thicker than
> > > http://www.cancertrials.com/living.html
> > >

> > > 10. Melanoma Patient Educator and Counselor
> > > Melanoma Patient Educator and Counselor Available for Telephone
> > > Consultations 415-885-7585 Andrew W. Kneier, Ph.D. UCSF Melanoma Center
> > UCSF
> > > Comprehensive Cancer Center Melanoma patient educator and counselor at
> one
> > > of the country's leading melanoma
> > > http://www.melanomasupport.com/
> > >

> > > Warmly, lillian

> > >   ( Very informational, good tips, Molers pictures, art work and much
> > > more....

~Andy