From: Jeanne Kissinger [mailto:jhkissinger@home.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 12:05 PM
To: mol
Subject: [MOL] Colon cancer diet

Marty would have a lot of info on this. Basically, one of the
researchers here at our university did a study on long term survivors of
cancer. Rather he reserched what was published on this. James my husband
brought it home, hard reading. I can't find the study but I remember the
last name "Foster". I will ask my husband. Anyway, most people switched
to a mainly veggie diet. So we consulted a naturopath, and he said no
processed foods, salads or if they gave me gas, to lightly cook my
veggies (stir fry, steaming). We use olive oil mostly for all our
cooking (extra-virgin). There are different types of olive oil for
salads, cooking, flavour, etc. For the colon, broccoli, aspargus, and
any cole or dark leave veggie is the best. He recommended soy products,
(not fermented), soups, no dairy foods, 100% whole grains, (brown rice,
pasta). Sugar in all its forms is a no-no. (I cheat on brown sugar for
my cereal and organic maple sugar) We have eaten this way for so long I
forget now. A good multi-vit is recommended and I do take vitamin E
(natural or succinate)and a baby aspirin every other day. I drink lots
of water and green tea is my staple for drinking. We get very creative
with our soy recipes. I have been lucky that my daughter has been to
Japan and likes to cook Japanese food. Ditto Chinese food. We eat little
meat so we eat beans, we do eat fish. We make our own granola as well.
It is a drastic change from the meat and potatoes diet. McDonalds and
fries are thing of the past. We eat organic when we can and it is
becoming easier to do this as the boomers jump on the organic food band
wagon. I take digestive enzymes and acidophilus. Over-eating is a no no.
Try to prevent constipation (water, fiber!).
Did I miss anything????? Jeanne
http://www.healthyideas.com/cooking/news/more/980409.news.html