[MOL] Colon cancer diet [00041] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Colon cancer diet

Marty would have a lot of info on this. Basically, one of the
researchers here at our university did a study on long term survivors of
cancer. Rather he reserched what was published on this. James my husband
brought it home, hard reading. I can't find the study but I remember the
last name "Foster". I will ask my husband. Anyway, most people switched
to a mainly veggie diet. So we consulted a naturopath, and he said no
processed foods, salads or if they gave me gas, to lightly cook my
veggies (stir fry, steaming). We use olive oil mostly for all our
cooking (extra-virgin). There are different types of olive oil for
salads, cooking, flavour, etc. For the colon, broccoli, aspargus, and
any cole or dark leave veggie is the best. He recommended soy products,
(not fermented), soups, no dairy foods, 100% whole grains, (brown rice,
pasta). Sugar in all its forms is a no-no. (I cheat on brown sugar for
my cereal and organic maple sugar) We have eaten this way for so long I
forget now. A good multi-vit is recommended and I do take vitamin E
(natural or succinate)and a baby aspirin every other day. I drink lots
of water and green tea is my staple for drinking. We get very creative
with our soy recipes. I have been lucky that my daughter has been to
Japan and likes to cook Japanese food. Ditto Chinese food. We eat little
meat so we eat beans, we do eat fish. We make our own granola as well.
It is a drastic change from the meat and potatoes diet. McDonalds and
fries are thing of the past. We eat organic when we can and it is
becoming easier to do this as the boomers jump on the organic food band
wagon. I take digestive enzymes and acidophilus. Over-eating is a no no.
Try to prevent constipation (water, fiber!).
Did I miss anything????? Jeanne
http://www.healthyideas.com/cooking/news/more/980409.news.html
Title: Healthy Ideas: Nutrition News -- Tomatoes Shown To Cut Heart Attack Risk in Half - Lycopene, Tomatoes, Tomato, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce, Pasta Sauce, Colon Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ketchup, Catsup
Prevention's Healthy Ideas is stocked with herbal remedies, vitamin databases, alternative medicine news, advice from naturopathic doctors and interactive forums. Check weekly for new features on women's health and fitness, natural medicine, children's health and food.
Click Here!
Women.com Network: Welcome!
Women.com Network: Welcome!
 Wed., March 1
Women.com Network: Welcome!
Women.com Network

Women.com Women.com Network: Welcome!
First visit? Join FREE
Already registered? Log In Now
Logout
Women.com Network
 Women.com >> Sites >> Prevention
Women.com Network
prevention

weight loss tools
  • daily meal
        planner
  • mix-n-match
        lunchbox
  • foodscanner recipes
  • recipe finder
  • meal makeover
  • recipe
        makeovers
  • recipe exchange
  • special
        occasions
    nutrition
  • ask chef ney
  • nutrition news

    Send this page
    to a friend
    Holly McCord, RD

    Tomatoes Cut Heart Attack Risk in Half

    Tomatoes are red-hot! First came studies showing that people who ate the most tomato products had less prostate and colon cancer. Now for the first time, we're hearing that tomatoes prevent heart attacks. In Europe, men with the highest tissue levels of lycopene -- the compound in tomatoes that may turn out to be the good guy -- were only half as likely to suffer heart attacks as men with the lowest levels (American Journal of Epidemiology, October 1997).

    For more lycopene in your life, eat lots of the following foods:

    FOOD LYCOPENE
    (milligrams)
    1/2 c tomato sauce 22
    3/4 c tomato juice 20
    2 Tbsp tomato paste 18
    3/4 c vegetable juice cocktail     18
    1/4 c tomato puree 10
    1/2 c chopped raw tomato 8
    1 c red watermelon chunks 7
    2 Tbsp ketchup 5
    1 guava 5
    1/2 pink grapefruit 4

    R e l a t e d   s t o r i e s :
    Make a Habit of Tomatoes
    Tomatoes, Carrots and Fruits for Skin

    Divider
    s h o p p i n g

    Women.com Homepage | Help
    Copyright © 1995-99 Women.com Networks. All rights reserved.

    Prevention.com is intended to heighten awareness of health information and does not suggest diagnosis or treatment. This information is not a substitute for medical attention. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.

    Real Women. Real Life. Real Beauty.