Re: [MOL] colon cancer-nutrition/Chris [00026] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] colon cancer-nutrition/Chris

Making me work huh?  LOL!  Here it is friend.

Proactive Oncology NutritionEat A Plant Based Diet
Nutrients should always be consumed primarily through food; however, it is
important to assess if there is major gastrointestinal disease or
dysfunction which would require specific nutrition support. Generally, the
diet for the cancer patient should be high in grains, legumes and colorful
produce. Whole, natural foods are best since processed foods usually contain
excessive amounts of fat, sugar, salt, and preservatives.
Eat Fewer Risky Foods Reduce your intake of fats, particularly saturated
fats and hydrogenated food products. Avoid refined sugar products. High
intakes of fat and sugar suppress the immune system.

Maintain A Health Gastrointestinal Environment Eat small, frequent meals in
an effort to enhance absorption and utilization of nutrients. This
suggestion will also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Increase intake
of fiber and fluid. Consider beginning a detoxification program and
supplementing with probiotics like acidophilus or fiber compounds.

Supplement Your Diet Additional vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other dietary
supplements can be helpful to reduce cancer risk, improve recuperative
ability during cancer treatment and help to stimulate immunity. Antioxidants
like vitamins C and E and minerals like selenium protect cells from
oxidative damage.

Avoid Malnutrition Forty percent of cancer patients die from malnutrition as
a primary cause of death. Inadequate calories and/or protein causing
significant weight loss can impair immunity and cancer treatment may be
interrupted. To ensure dietary adequacy or the need for high calorie/protein
supplements, or nutrition support measures, obtain a general health and
nutritional status assessment from a qualified health care professional.

Maintain Immunity Fortifying natural defenses is essential to avoiding
cancer. A strong immune system also helps to reduce toxic side effects of
cancer treatment. Immunity is enhanced by plant substances called
phytochemicals, certain vitamins and minerals, amino acids, herbs and
positive emotions.

Reduce Toxicity Of Cancer Treatment Conventional oncology treatments such as
chemotherapy and radiation can be augmented with proper nutrition and
dietary supplements. In addition, certain natural components found in food
have been shown to be helpful in decreasing treatment side effects. Try some
of the natural remedies for treatment maladies mentioned in this packet.

Get Educated Be proactive in the therapeutic and recovery process. Ask
questions. Because each person’s nutritional needs are very individualized,
seek out a registered dietitian who can develop a personalized,
complementary nutritional therapy program.

Part II: Dietary Supplements
Carotenoids
Natural carotene sources are the best
Acts to prevent free radical damage and has demonstrated effectiveness on
oral leukoplakia
Dosage for enhanced immunity: 25,000 to 100,000 IU/day
Food sources include colorful (red, green, yellow and orange produce)
Ascorbic Acid
Natural or synthetic Vitamin C is equally effective
Acts to enhance white blood cell function and activity and inhibits viral
and bacterial growth in vitro. Inhibits conversion of nitrates to
nitrosamines
Becomes depleted by tobacco smoke, allergens
Dosage for enhanced immunity: 1,000 to 20,000 mg/day
Food sources include citrus fruits, potatoes, greens, broccoli
Tocopherol
Vitamin E’s most effective form is d-alpha tocopherol succinate
Acts to reduce risk for heart disease and prevents oxidation of fats and
inhibits conversion of nitrates to nitroamines
Dosage for enhanced immunity: 400 - 800 IU/day
Food sources include vegetable oils, found in smaller amounts of wheat germ,
whole grains and leafy greens
Selenium
Essential trace mineral with poorest soil content found in Midwest and
northeast U.S.
Acts to reduce tumor incidence in supplemented animals and reduces free
radical damage
Dosage for enhanced immunity: 200 - 800 mcg/day
Food sources include seafood, meats, smaller amounts found in whole grains.
Food content directly related to regional soil content.
Essential Fatty Acids
A conditionally essential nutrient with blood thinning capability
Acts to lower triglycerides and may function as an anti-metastatic agent
Dosage for enhanced immunity: 3,000 to 5,000 mg/day
Food sources of omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines
and flaxseed
Rating Your Foods
These foods are rated based on their ability to enhance immunity and offer
chemoprevention. Eat foods high on the chart (Adapted from P. Quillin,
1997). BEST
Oranges Beet greens Brussel sprouts Garlic Barley Bass
Limes Cauliflower Dandelion Cabbage Greens Wheat
Halibut Green peppers Tangerine Tomato Endive Oats
Carrots Banana Asparagus Pumpkin Sprouts Soy
Parsley Strawberries Low fat yogurt Parsley Peas Cod
Haddock Cantaloupe Winter squash  Pintos Millet Sole
Apricot Nonfat milk Sweet potatoes Chard Spinach Kale
Guava Buttermilk Brewer’s yeast  Papaya Onions Rye
Garbanzo Brown rice Navy beans Spirulina Wild rice Algae

GOOD
Cherries Low fat milk Low fat beef Lettuce Ginger Trout
Shrimp Blueberries Low fat pork Chicory Grapes Tuna
Chicken Low fat cheese Veal, lamb Cinnamon Potatoes Clams
Lima  beans Watermelon Parmesan Turkey Lobster  Eggs
Swordfish Radishes Popcorn Oysters Tortilla Beets
Zucchini Pineapple Salmon Vinegar Hot peppers Grits
Celery Green tea Apples Melons Corn

FAIR
Prunes Homemade Pizza Raisins Veg juice Peanuts Dates
Whole milk Pumpkin seeds Most cheeses Granola Rhubarb Duck
Dried fruit Sunflower seeds Fruit juice Almonds Plums

POOR
Molasses Ice cream White rice Most veg oils Crackers
Honey White flour Commercial pizza Canned fruit Pancakes
Waffles Avocado Granola Creamed vegs Sherbet

BAD
Sausage Sugar Commercial pies Sugared cereals Salami
Hot dog Bacon Mayonnaise Gelatins Margarines
Butter Alcohol Coconut Diet soft drinks Doughnuts
Lard Bologna Cakes, cookies Chips Pastries

Suggestions for Loss of Appetite
To obtain needed protein and calories, drink a high calorie, high protein
supplement shake. Read labels to find one that is lower in simple sugars
like Gainers Fuel.
Consume small, frequent meals. The sight of large amounts of food can cause
loss of appetite. Don’t drink liquids before or during meals to avoid
filling up on liquid calories.
Choose snacks wisely. Soy puddings, organic yogurts, buttermilk, cheeses,
nuts and nut butters and whole grain breads and cereals are easy to digest
and high in protein. Some contain "friendly" bacteria essential for
gastrointestinal health.
Consider B vitamin supplementation. The B vitamins are responsible for
releasing energy from food and enhances appetite.
Herbs that may stimulate appetite include fennel seed, ginger root, ginseng,
gotu kola, papaya, and peppermint.
Suggestions for Nausea and Vomiting
Prevention is the key; once excessive salivation and nausea have set in, it
is much more difficult to control.
Whole grain crackers or other dry, starchy foods, and olives have an effect
of decreasing salivation.
Avoid spicy, heavy, fatty processed or junk foods prior to or during
treatment.
Avoid odors and aromas. Have meals served cold or delivered uncovered.
Consume chilled fruit or vegetable juices often. These foods contain
potassium needed to restore proper electrolyte balance.
Ginger is an excellent remedy for nausea. Take two capsules one hour before
treatment and every three hours as needed.
Peppermint tea or lozenges may soothe and calm an upset stomach.
Acidophilus supplements may be helpful to replace intestinal bacteria.
Suggestions for Fatigue
Avoid nutrient-robbing foods like refined sugar and flour products, alcohol,
fats and caffeine.
Food allergies are often the cause of fatigue. A food challenge test may be
beneficial in determining if certain foods irritate the gastrointestinal
tract.
Include more fruits and vegetables, grains, seeds and nuts in your diet. Eat
less red meat and other saturated animal products.
Obtain adequate calories and protein. Your specific energy needs can be
determined by a registered dietitian.
Vitamin and mineral deficiencies have been associated with a lack of energy.
Choose a high potency multivitamin with mineral complex.
Spirulina, an excellent vegetable protein source, has been used with Vitamin
C for fatigue with good results.
Gingko biloba, gotu kola, and Siberian ginseng may help combat fatigue.
Avoid ginseng if you have low blood sugar, hypertension, or a heart
condition.
Suggestions for Constipation
Drink more water. Consume at least 64 ounces of fluid daily, whether you are
thirsty or not.
Eat high fiber foods like raw fruit and vegetables, whole grains and beans
daily. Consume high pectin foods like apples, bananas, carrots, and cabbage.
Fiber and pectin are also available as dietary supplements.
Avoid fried foods, dairy products, and spicy foods that stimulate mucous
membrane secretions.
Eat prunes or figs. These are the best natural laxatives.
Physical activity speeds the movement of waste material from intestines. Try
a 20 minute brisk walk.
If on morphine or codeine based medications, do not take psyllium based
products. Instead choose flaxseed oil or freshly ground flax to help soften
stools.
Herbs that are helpful for constipation include cascara sagrada, turkey
rhubarb, senna leaves, and yerba mate.
A ½ cup of aloe vera juice in the morning and afternoon assists in forming
soft stools.
Suggestions for Diarrhea
Drink plenty of fluids rich in potassium or take kelp. The prolonged loss of
fluids can lead to dehydration and loss of necessary minerals like sodium,
potassium, and magnesium.
Oat bran, rice bran, yogurt, and other fermented dairy products provide
soluble fiber and aid in gastrointestinal integrity.
White rice and green apples help to form stools.
Consider food allergies as a potential cause of diarrhea. Avoid dairy
products and limit intake of fats and foods containing gluten like barley,
oats, rye, and wheat.
Carob powder is high in protein which halts diarrhea. Add to cereals,
beverages, or yogurt.
Digestive enzymes may be helpful to aid in digestion and promote absorption
of food nutrients.
Kombucha tea, which acts as a detoxifier and immune stimulant, may be
beneficial to diarrhea and other digestive disordersWarmly, lillian

Warmly, lillian

more....