[MOL] Ellen! [01320] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Ellen!

I have been searching and searching my disks for the following.  I think I need a secretary to file for me here!

I take Milk Thistle and a multi vit.  Used to be a big Vit E person.  I make sure I stay away from sugar, fried foods, anything that is yummy!  Darn.....lillian

Proactive Oncology NutritionEat A Plant Based Diet
Nutrients should always be consumed primarily through food; however, it is important to assess if there is major gastrointestinal disease or dysfunction which would require specific nutrition support. Generally, the diet for the cancer patient should be high in grains, legumes and colorful produce. Whole, natural foods are best since processed foods usually contain excessive amounts of fat, sugar, salt, and preservatives.

Eat Fewer Risky Foods Reduce your intake of fats, particularly saturated fats and hydrogenated food products. Avoid refined sugar products. High intakes of fat and sugar suppress the immune system.

Maintain A Health Gastrointestinal Environment Eat small, frequent meals in an effort to enhance absorption and utilization of nutrients. This suggestion will also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Increase intake of fiber and fluid. Consider beginning a detoxification program and supplementing with probiotics like acidophilus or fiber compounds.

Supplement Your Diet Additional vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other dietary supplements can be helpful to reduce cancer risk, improve recuperative ability during cancer treatment and help to stimulate immunity. Antioxidants like vitamins C and E and minerals like selenium protect cells from oxidative damage.

Avoid Malnutrition Forty percent of cancer patients die from malnutrition as a primary cause of death. Inadequate calories and/or protein causing significant weight loss can impair immunity and cancer treatment may be interrupted. To ensure dietary adequacy or the need for high calorie/protein supplements, or nutrition support measures, obtain a general health and nutritional status assessment from a qualified health care professional.

Maintain Immunity Fortifying natural defenses is essential to avoiding cancer. A strong immune system also helps to reduce toxic side effects of cancer treatment. Immunity is enhanced by plant substances called phytochemicals, certain vitamins and minerals, amino acids, herbs and positive emotions.

Reduce Toxicity Of Cancer Treatment Conventional oncology treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation can be augmented with proper nutrition and dietary supplements. In addition, certain natural components found in food have been shown to be helpful in decreasing treatment side effects. Try some of the natural remedies for treatment maladies mentioned in this packet.

Get Educated Be proactive in the therapeutic and recovery process. Ask questions. Because each person’s nutritional needs are very individualized, seek out a registered dietitian who can develop a personalized, complementary nutritional therapy program.

Part II: Dietary Supplements

Carotenoids
Ascorbic Acid
Tocopherol
Selenium
Essential Fatty Acids

Rating Your Foods

These foods are rated based on their ability to enhance immunity and offer chemoprevention. Eat foods high on the chart (Adapted from P. Quillin, 1997).
BEST
Oranges Beet greens Brussel sprouts Garlic Barley Bass
Limes Cauliflower Dandelion Cabbage Greens Wheat
Halibut Green peppers Tangerine Tomato Endive Oats
Carrots Banana Asparagus Pumpkin Sprouts Soy
Parsley Strawberries Low fat yogurt Parsley Peas Cod
Haddock Cantaloupe Winter squash Pintos Millet Sole
Apricot Nonfat milk Sweet potatoes Chard Spinach Kale
Guava Buttermilk Brewer’s yeast Papaya Onions Rye
Garbanzo Brown rice Navy beans Spirulina Wild rice Algae

GOOD
Cherries Low fat milk Low fat beef Lettuce Ginger Trout
Shrimp Blueberries Low fat pork Chicory Grapes Tuna
Chicken Low fat cheese Veal, lamb Cinnamon Potatoes Clams
Lima  beans Watermelon Parmesan Turkey Lobster Eggs
Swordfish Radishes Popcorn Oysters Tortilla Beets
Zucchini Pineapple Salmon Vinegar Hot peppers Grits
Celery Green tea Apples Melons Corn

FAIR
Prunes Homemade Pizza Raisins Veg juice Peanuts Dates
Whole milk Pumpkin seeds Most cheeses Granola Rhubarb Duck
Dried fruit Sunflower seeds Fruit juice Almonds Plums

POOR
Molasses Ice cream White rice Most veg oils Crackers
Honey White flour Commercial pizza Canned fruit Pancakes
Waffles Avocado Granola Creamed vegs Sherbet

BAD
Sausage Sugar Commercial pies Sugared cereals Salami
Hot dog Bacon Mayonnaise Gelatins Margarines
Butter Alcohol Coconut Diet soft drinks Doughnuts
Lard Bologna Cakes, cookies Chips Pastries

Suggestions for Loss of Appetite

Suggestions for Nausea and Vomiting

Suggestions for Fatigue

Suggestions for Constipation