[MOL] Fwd: Newsletter provided courtesy of WarOnCancer.org [01310] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: Newsletter provided courtesy of WarOnCancer.org

---- Begin included message ----
cancereducation.com
NEWSLETTER
For the week ending February 25, 2000
http://www.cancereducation.com

MISSION STATEMENT
Improving cancer care through the dissemination of up-to-date and accurate educational
programming and information for healthcare professionals, cancer patients and
their family members.

SHARE THIS NEWSLETTER WITH A FRIEND
Forward a copy of this email to friends you think might be interested and they'll
find subscription information at the end of this email.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

UPCOMING WEBCASTS ON CANCEREDUCATION.COM
·   Living Well with Lymphoma

FEATURED MEDCLIPS™ ON CANCEREDUCATION.COM
·   The Future of Complementary Medicine in Cancer Care
·   Breast Cancer Risk Reduction Strategies: You Do Have Options
·   Understanding Lymphoma: A General Overview
·   What's New: Transplants, Thalidomide and Other Topics
·   Brain Tumor Treatment in the Next Millennium

HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS WEEK'S CANCER NEWS
·   Adjuvant chemotherapy recommended in all young breast cancer patients
·   Red blood cell phenotyping predicts leukemia relapse after BMT
·   Paclitaxel-cisplatin better than etoposide-cisplatin for advanced NSCLC
·   Bone marrow staging may help identify low-risk breast cancer patients
·   Recommendation against mammography sparks controversy

PATIENT AND FAMILY MESSAGE BOARD

ASK THE ONCOLOGY PHARMACIST

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION

TROUBLESHOOTING

UPCOMING WEBCASTS ON CANCEREDUCATION.COM
You will need to register in advance to participate in a Webcast. Space is limited,
so register early to guarantee a place online.

Living Well with Lymphoma
Saturday, March 18, 2000, 9:30 am PST- 3:00 pm PST (12:30 pm EST- 6:00 pm EST)

The Cure for Lymphoma Foundation, in collaboration with Stanford University,
presents an educational conference for people with lymphoma and their families.
*To register for this live event, visit http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages2/wc_upcoming.cfm

FEATURED MEDCLIPS™ ON CANCEREDUCATION.COM
MedClips™ allow you to watch national conferences and presentations on a variety
of cancer topics for FREE.  Below is a sampling of some MedClips™ that cover
a range of cancer topics.

The Future of Complementary Medicine in Cancer Care
In this fascinating presentation on complementary therapies, Dr. William Fair
investigates the popularity of a number of therapies for cancer prevention and
treatment.
http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/medprofile.cfm?MC=aaes

Breast Cancer Risk Reduction Strategies: You Do Have Options
Dr. Freya Schnabel talks about the variety of options for women to reduce their
breast cancer risk at the Fall 1999 Women at Risk Symposium.
http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/medprofile.cfm?MC=aaeo

Understanding Lymphoma: A General Overview
>From the Cure for Lymphoma Foundation Foundation September 1999 Patient and Family
Forum, Dr. Freter reviews the basic characteristics, stages, and treatment of
Hodgkin's disease, Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and high-grade lymphomas.
http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/medprofile.cfm?MC=aacc

What's New: Transplants, Thalidomide and Other Topics
Now let's get to the heart of the matter: What's new in multiple myeloma? Dr.
Brian Durie offers straight talk on the promise of new drugs, including, of course,
the latest on everyone's short list, anti-angiogenesis medications. He gives
statistics on marrow transplant studies.
http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/medprofile.cfm?MC=aaib

Brain Tumor Treatment in the Next Millennium
What seems like science fiction today will soon become medical reality. Let Dr.
Keith Black take you on a voyage through the latest technologies for battling
brain tumors, the essence of this MedClip™ from the Frontiers of Hope Brain Tumor
Society Symposium.
http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/medprofile.cfm?MC=aafp

HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS WEEK'S CANCER NEWS

Adjuvant chemotherapy recommended in all young breast cancer patients
All women with breast cancer who are younger than 35 years should be considered
for adjuvant cytotoxic treatment, even when the cancer is considered to be low
risk.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages/Reuters/ViewArticle.cfm?Article=Cancer/cl02180a.htm

Red blood cell phenotyping predicts leukemia relapse after BMT
Chimerism analysis based on red blood cell phenotyping is a simple and sensitive
method for detecting relapse after bone marrow transplantation and monitoring
response to donor leukocyte infusion in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages/Reuters/ViewArticle.cfm?Article=Cancer/cl02180f.htm

Paclitaxel-cisplatin better than etoposide-cisplatin for advanced NSCLC
With regard to survival, the combination of paclitaxel and cisplatin is superior
to etoposide-cisplatin in patients with stage IIIB and stage IV non-small-cell
lung cancer, according to a report in the February Journal of Clinical Oncology.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages/Reuters/ViewArticle.cfm?Article=Cancer/cl02210h.htm

Bone marrow staging may help identify low-risk breast cancer patients
In patients with stage I, II or III breast cancer, the risk of relapse is elevated
in those who have occult cytokeratin-positive metastatic cells in bone marrow,
according to study findings published in the February 24th issue of The New England
Journal of Medicine.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages/Reuters/ViewArticle.cfm?Article=Cancer/ep02240a.htm

PATIENT AND FAMILY MESSAGE BOARD

For all you new members, the Patient and Family Message Board is a forum in which
patients, families, and friends can share stories, ask questions, and gather
information on cancer.  Keep checking regularly for messages and new replies.
in finding out about and click on "Patient and Family Message Board" in the left-hand
column.

Because our community has grown so large, we are planning to send out a separate
Patient and Family Message Board Newsletter.  The following messages represent
highlights of the message boards.  Stay tuned for the first edition of the Patient
and Family Message Board Newsletter coming this Thursday.

Highlights of new messages seeking replies:
**Wife of brain tumor patient pursuing alternative medicine in addition to traditional
treatments.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages2/MessageBoards/ShowMessage.cfm?MessageID=473&InterestID=20&TopicID=128

**Brain tumor survivor shares some of her own answers and discoveries with coping.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages2/MessageBoards/ShowMessage.cfm?MessageID=514&InterestID=20&TopicID=133

**Seeking treatment plans from other non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients in the "watch
and wait" phase. http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages2/MessageBoards/ShowMessage.cfm?MessageID=523&InterestID=12&TopicID=90

**Multiple myeloma patient seeks advice on treatment choices and experiences
with stem-cell harvest.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages2/MessageBoards/ShowMessage.cfm?MessageID=467&InterestID=39&TopicID=119

**Concerned son who just found out his father has multiple myeloma seeks information
and advice from others.
http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPages2/MessageBoards/ShowMessage.cfm?MessageID=480&InterestID=39&TopicID=114

ASK THE ONCOLOGY PHARMACIST
The Director of Oncology Drug Information for CancerEducation.com, is an oncology
pharmacist available to answer your questions about oncology drugs.  He will
try to answer your questions within 24 hours, but in no event should anything
you learn on CancerEducation.com ever replace or cause you to delay seeking medical
advice. Please see our Terms and Conditions.
Visit http://www.cancereducation.com/cancersyspages/sendapharm.cfm to ask your
questions!

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION
To subscribe to the newsletter, register FREE at: http://www.cancereducation.com/CancerSysPagesNB/Login/registration.cfm
and check the box that says, "If this box is checked, you will receive such e-mails
about your Oncology areas of interest" in the profile information.

and write "unsubscribe" in the subject heading.

!!!ATTENTION AOL USERS!!!

You may have trouble accessing links to the webpages. If this happens, copy and
paste the url into your browser.

TROUBLESHOOTING
If for some reason you are not able to access these pages, it mig-ht be because
you are an AOL user. In this case, you should copy and paste the urls into your
browser to get to the appropriate site. It is also possible that you have received
this newsletter as a forward from a friend or family member, and have not registered
on our site. In order to access the above articles and presentations as well
as many others, complete the FREE registration at www.cancereducation.com and
then click on the hyperlinks above.

Copyright © 2000 by CancerEducation.com, Inc. All rights reserved. This newsletter
also contains material copyrighted by Reuters Health News. For such materials,
copyright © 2000 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

---- End included message ----