[MOL] Looking for info/support [01297] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Looking for info/support

Hello Molers,

I'm happy that I found this site.  My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in Dec 1998.  During debulking surgery in early Jan 1999, two very large tumors were removed from each ovary (she had appeared to be 9 months pregnant prior to surgery -- the tumors had grown this large over a three week period in Dec).  The cancer was also found in her liver as well as the peritoneum.

She began chemo in Mar 1999, receiving carboplatin and taxol.  She weathered the chemo quite well, never really getting naseous, etc.  Her tumor marker (CA 125) continued to decrease throughout the first half of 1999, down to a low of 4 during the summer.  However, in Sept, the CA 125 began to creep upwards and by Nov 1999 was up to 45 or 50.  A cat scan revealed the cancer had spread to the stomach.  A new chemo treatment began in early Dec 1999 -- topotekan was administered five days in a row with a two week break.

A cat scan in early Feb 2000 revealed additional cancer spots on the liver and stomach.  Her (not too symptathetic) oncologist informed her that there was nothing else to be done; to write up a living will and take a vacation.  I, of course, contacted the oncologist for further clarification, as well as seeking a second opinion at Sloan Kettering.  Working with these two oncologists, she is now scheduled to begin oral etoposide (VP 16) after meeting with oncologist #1 later today.  She has been taking various herbal products throughout treatment, such as milk thistle, grape seed extract and astragalus, though not all during the actual chemo cycles.  Two weeks ago she began drinking Essiac tea three times per day.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with the VP 16 or the Essiac tea or . . . whatever.  As I'm sure you're all aware, we're willing to try just about anything.  Thank you all for any info and support you can offer.

Dawn