[MOL] Update on Tommy [01005] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Update on Tommy

Hello all,

It has been a while since I've sent an update, but we now have some really
good news to share.  For those of you who are new, my nephew Tommy (age 24)
was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Sept. of 1999.  At that point he
went through a 21 day course of intensive chemotherapy.  He had multiple
symptoms including tumors, blood clots and other complications which have
kept him bouncing in and out (mostly in) the hospital for the better part of
the past 4 months.

Although he wasn't in full remission after the first round of chemo, he did
go into remission after being released from the hospital, about 8 weeks after
the initial diagnosis.  He's been through one additional round of
consolidation chemo.  Some miscellaneous infections and one very serious
fungus infection hospitalized him for another coupld of weeks in January.

They got the call late last week that a bone marrow donor match had been
found!  As you can imagine we are on cloud nine!

It will take 8-12 weeks for them to get him into shape for the transplant,
but the good news is I think they will be able to link the radiation
treatments he needs for the tumors with the full body radiation they do as
part of the prep. for the transplant.

We all know this is a roller coaster ride, and right now things are looking
up.  Thank you to everyone on this wonderful forum for all the love and
support you've given us .  Our thoughts and prayers will be with you as you
too make this journey.

Your friend,  Kathy Q.