[MOL] Breast Cancer Ads stir SF.... [00973] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Breast Cancer Ads stir SF....

Breast Cancer Ads Stir SF
Non-Profit Campaign Features Mastectomy Scars

This breast-cancer-awareness poster substitutes a mastectomy scar for one of the model's breasts, and it's part of a controversial California campaign. (The Campaign for Breast Cancer)

By Kim Curtis
The Associated Press
S A N   F R A N C I S C O,   Jan. 27 — At first glance, the scantily clad, provocatively posed women could be models for Obsession perfume, Cosmopolitan magazine or a Victoria’s Secret catalog.
     But look closer at the posters and you’ll see that these women are baring mastectomy scars — part of a cancer-awareness campaign that is causing a stir in the San Francisco Bay Area.
     “We’re using a parody of icons, society’s icons of sexuality that are always in our face,” said Andrea Martin, founder of The Breast Cancer Fund, the San Francisco-based nonprofit organization heading the campaign.
     The poster-size ads went up in 37 bus shelters in Santa Clara and Contra Costa counties about two weeks ago. They feature Martin’s own double mastectomy-scarred chest superimposed on models’ bodies.

‘It’s No Secret’
One ad, mimicking a Victoria’s Secret lingerie ad, features a woman wearing a bra and panties exposing one scar. It reads: “It’s no secret society is obsessed with breasts, but what are we doing about breast cancer?”
     Two posters came down after residents complained. Outdoor Systems, the billboard company that had donated space for the ads in 20 San Francisco bus shelters, has refused to use them.
     “We found it to be unacceptable,” company spokesperson Stephen Shinn said Wednesday.

Donated Time, Work

Mastectomy ad
The double-mastectomy scars in this photo belong to an awareness-campaign organizer, not the model whose face and other body parts are featured. (The Campaign for Breast Cancer)
The models, photographer and advertising agency all donated their time to make the posters. Martin, who underwent her first mastectomy in 1989, said she’s glad the ads are getting people talking.
     “We did expect there to be a mixed reaction, that’s why we did it,” said Martin, 53. “It’s very easy to lapse into acceptance of something unacceptable.”
     “I think it’s daring and risky, but if it works well, then I congratulate them for doing it,” said American Cancer Society spokesperson Joann Schellenbach.
     Schellenbach added that the campaign would not necessarily be appropriate for her organization, which prefers straightforward educational messages.

Warmly, lillian

spacer.gif

ho_tcbf_mastectomy_c.jpg

aquadot.gif