[MOL] FW: The Christmas Dime [00735] Medicine On Line

[MOL] FW: The Christmas Dime

A beautiful story, my friends.  Happy New Year.  Kathy in Boise

-----Original Message-----
From: Meredith Dille [mailto:mdille@idl.state.id.us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 1999 11:23 AM
To: Kathy Corrigan; Nancy Harvey [HarveNA@mmis.state.id.us] (E-mail);
Pam Elliot (E-mail)
Subject: The Christmas Dime

   Bobby was getting cold sitting out in his back yard in the snow.  Bobby
didn't wear boots; he didn't like them and anyway he didn't own any.  The
thin sneakers he wore had a  few holes in them and they did a poor job of
keeping out the cold. Bobby had been in his backyard for about an hour
already. And, try as he might, he could not come up with an idea for his
mother's Christmas gift. He shook his head as he thought, "This is useless,
even if I do come up with an idea, I don't have any money to spend."

    Ever since his father had passed away three years ago, the family of
five had struggled. It wasn't because his mother didn't care, or try,  there
just
never seemed to be enough. She worked nights at the hospital, but  the small
wage that she was earning could only be stretched so far.  What the family
lacked in money and material things, they more than made up for in love and
family unity.  Bobby had two older and one younger sister, who ran  the
house hold in their mother's absence.  All three of his sisters had already
made beautiful gifts for their mother. Somehow it just wasn't fair.     Here
it was Christmas Eve already, and he had nothing.

    Wiping a tear from his eye, Bobby kicked the snow and started to
walk down to the street where the shops and stores were. It wasn't easy
being six without a father, especially when he needed a man to talk to.
Bobby walked from shop to shop, looking into each decorated window.
Everything seemed so beautiful and so out of reach.

    It was starting to get dark and Bobby reluctantly turned to walk
home when suddenly his eyes caught the glimmer of the setting sun's rays
reflecting off of something along the curb. He reached down and discovered a
shiny dime. Never before has anyone felt so wealthy as Bobby felt at that
moment.  As he held his new found treasure, a warmth spread throughout his
entire body and he walked into the first store he saw.  His excitement
quickly turned cold when the salesperson told him that he couldn't buy
anything with only a dime. He saw a flower shop and went inside to wait in
line.  When the shop owner asked if he could help him, Bobby presented the
dime and asked if he could buy one flower for his mother's Christmas gift.
The shop owner looked at Bobby and his ten cent offering. Then he put his
hand on Bobby's shoulder and said to him, "You just wait here and I'll see
what  can do for
you."

    As Bobby waited he looked at the beautiful flowers and even though
he was a boy, he could see why mothers and girls liked flowers.  The sound
of the door
closing as the last customer left, jolted Bobby back to reality. All alone
in the shop, Bobby began to feel alone and afraid.  Suddenly the shop owner
came out and moved to the counter.  There, before Bobby's eyes, lay twelve
long stem, red roses, with leaves of green and tiny white flowers all tied
together with a big silver bow. Bobby's heart sank as the owner picked them
up and placed them gently into a long white box. "That will be ten cents
young man." The shop owner said reaching out his hand for the dime.

    Slowly, Bobby moved his hand to give the man his dime. Could this be
true?  No one else would give him a thing for his dime!  Sensing the boy's
reluctance, the shop owner added, "I just happened to have some roses on
sale for ten cents a dozen.  Would you like them?"

    This time Bobby did not hesitate, and when the man placed the long
box into his hands, he knew it was true. Walking out the door that the owner
was
holding for Bobby, he heard the shop keeper say, "Merry Christmas, son."

    As he returned inside, the shop keeper's wife walked out.  "Who were
you talking to back there and where are the roses you were fixing?"

    Staring out the window, and blinking the  tears from his own eyes,
he replied, "A strange thing happened to me this morning.  While I was
setting up things to open the shop, I thought I heard a voice telling me to
set aside a dozen of my best roses for a special gift.  I wasn't sure at the
time whether I had lost my mind or what, but I set them aside anyway.  Then
just a few minutes ago, a little boy came into the shop and wanted to buy a
flower for his mother with one small dime.  "When I looked at him, I saw
myself, many years ago. I too, was a poor boy with nothing to buy my mother
a Christmas gift.  A bearded man, whom I never knew, stopped me on  the
street and told me that he wanted to give me ten dollars.  "When I saw that
little boy tonight, I knew who that voice was, and  I put together a dozen
of my very best roses."

    The shop owner and his wife hugged each other tightly, and as they
stepped out into the bitter cold air, they somehow didn't feel cold at all.

    May this story instill the spirit of CHRISTmas in you enough to
pass this act along. Have a Joyous and Peace-filled season.
The stars exist that we might know how high our dreams can soar.

DO NOT read, copy or disseminate this