[MOL] Oxigene new drug CP [00500] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Oxigene new drug CP

I am looking for the clinical trial criteria for this trial. No luck yet
and have to go. Lil? Marty? Whoever. I talked to the clinical trials
nurse and she said to get it off the web. I have pulled up quite a list
off alltheweb.com just type in Oxigene, no quotes needed. Jeanne

http://www.oxigene.com/press/11-5-99.htm

OXiGENE PRESENTS INTERIM COMBRETASTATIN A4 PRODRUG
              PHASE I CLINICAL TRIAL RESULTS

 - New Clinical Data on Anti-Tumor Vascular Targeting Agent Presented
           at the Chemotherapy Foundation Symposium -

Boston, MA and Stockholm, Sweden, November 5, 1999-OXiGENE, Inc.
(Nasdaq: OXGN, SSE: OXGN) announced today that researchers will be
reporting interim results from its ongoing Phase I clinical trial of
Combretastatin A4 Prodrug (CA4P) in patients with advanced
malignancies at the annual Mount Sinai Medical Center Chemotherapy
Foundation Symposium XVII. Scot Remick, M.D., from the Ireland
Cancer Center at University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western
Reserve University School of Medicine, principal investigator for the
clinical study, will be presenting work evaluating safety and MRI
(magnetic resonance imaging) blood flow studies in human tumors by
administration of CA4P. This dose escalating clinical study, which
began at the end of 1998, has examined 18 patients to date over a
dose range of CA4P from 18 to 90 mg/m² given as a single dose every
21 days.

Combretastatin, OXiGENE's anti-tumor vascular targeting agent, is
one of a new class of anti-cancer therapies that act by directly
reducing a tumor's blood supply. CA4P is different from angiogenic
inhibitors now in clinical development in that it attacks pre-existent
tumor vasculature, as opposed to anti-angiogenic agents which inhibit
the formation of new tumor-associated vasculature.

According to Dr. Remick, the typical side effects seen with
conventional chemotherapeutic agents, myelosuppresion (lowering of
blood counts), alopecia (hair loss) and stomatitis (soreness of
mouth), have not been seen with the administration of CA4P thus far.
As the maximum tolerated dose has not yet been identified, dose
escalation is continuing in patients. Side effects (faint flush,
tumor-associated pain and gastrointestinal upset) observed with
treatment have been generally mild and usually resolved within 5-6
hours. "Based on the effects we are seeing in the clinic, our
experience with the first 18 patients suggests that the drug is
systemically affecting the tumor vasculature. Although we have seen
some side effects at higher study doses of the drug, none of these
side effects have resulted in permanent harm to patients", said Dr.
Remick.

Dr. Remick is expected to present data on one patient with an
anaplastic thyroid carcinoma who showed a complete response after
CA4P treatment. Patients with other malignancies (renal and lung)
had stable disease for up to 24 weeks with one colon-cancer patient
having stable disease after 30 weeks of treatment. "We are
encouraged by the complete response observed in our patient with
anaplastic thyroid cancer. As this is an interim report on clinical
data,
more work needs to be done before drawing safety and efficacy
conclusions. The trial is proceeding as anticipated for a Phase I
clinical study", said Dr. Remick.

OXiGENE is currently involved in three Phase I clinical trials of CA4P
in
the United States and Europe. "All of our Phase I clinical trials of
Combretastatin are progressing on schedule with an acceptable safety
profile", said Björn Nordenvall, M.D., Ph.D., President and CEO of
OXiGENE. "As the trials progress, we plan to capitalize on the
potential value of our lead drug by seeking out a major
pharmaceutical partner."

OXiGENE is an international biopharmaceutical company developing a
diverse portfolio of innovative products to combat cancer and other
major diseases. The Company's mission is to develop new
therapeutics that will enhance the effectiveness of traditional cancer
treatments and to introduce innovative therapies that attack cancer in
new ways.

This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve
risks and uncertainties that may cause the Company's (OXiGENE's)
actual results or outcomes to be materially different from those
anticipated and discussed in this press release. Factors that may
cause such a difference include, but are not limited to, those risks and
uncertainties associated with the regulatory approval of the
Company's proprietary drugs, and other risks included in the
Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K and in the Company's other
filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission during the past
12 months.

Dr. Remick's abstract will be available, at 4.00 PM Eastern Standard
Time, by calling Matthew Knight of Noonan/Russo: (212) 696 4455 ext
271, or by logging on to www.oxigene.com.

This press release is also available at www.oxigene.com and at
www.noonanrusso.com.

Contacts: