Re: [MOL] Acute Myleogenous Leukemia, level 5 [00717] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Acute Myleogenous Leukemia, level 5

Hi,

My nephew Tommy also has been diagnosed with AML, but I haven't heard any
reference to "levels" or "phases" either.  Just that it's acute or chronic.
Tommy is 24 years old.

My nephew has also been diagnosed with myelodysplasia, and additional blood
disorder so his situation is a bit more complicated than the folks I've
talked to so far on this board.  There are a couple of other MOLERS who are
very active on the board who are much further along in treatment than Tommy,
and already in remission.  At the bottom of this mail I've attached some
links for places I've found.

Tommy's been through one round of Chemo so far but they said he did not go
into remission and have scheduled him to begin the process for a bone marrow
transplant and more chemo.  I was going to wait until the news firmed up, but
we have some more (guarded) good news.

First of all, within just a few days of his trip to Stanford Med. Center to
meet with the doctors there and to begin the search for a bone marrow donor,
they have already identified 5 probable matches.  Tommy said his doctor was
very surprised to have that many that soon, so we are hopeful they will find
someone quickly.  When he left the hospital 3 weeks ago, they told him he was
not in remission.  He went back in on Wednesday for another bone marrow
biopsy, and the doc suggested that he may have gone into remission on his
own, after being discharged.  With AML, they're thinking he should have been
developing more symptoms since he left the hospital, but the opposite has
been true.  He's getting stronger and putting back on weight he lost during
the first round of chemo (using caloric supliments) and has no additional
symptoms.  They will wait for the results of the biopsy to decide whether he
should go back in for another round of chemo (if he's not in remission) or
just wait until they find a donor (if he is in remission).  So we have a few
days to wait to see what happens on this one.

Here are the links I've found on AML:

 <A HREF="http://www.meds.com/leukemia/leukindexe.html">leukemia meds</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.marrow-donor.org/DONOR/steps.html">National Marrow Donor
Program - Steps on Becoming a Donor</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/02241.html">Encyclopedia.com -
Results for cancer</A>
 <A
HREF="http://askjeeves.com/main/followup.asp?qCategory=HLTH&ask=What+is+the+mo
st+common+treatment+for+Acute+Myeloid+Leukemia%3F&qSource=0&origin=0&frames=ye
s&site_name=Jeeves&scope=web&metasearch=yes&r=x&hasblanks=0&ajparam_qid=1230&a
jparam_fillers=%7C29%5B1487%5D%7C&ajparam_score=70&ajparam_cat=HLTH&ajparam_se
rverid=209&ajparam_logid=0C563AA6707FD311890D00A0C9FC44AF&ajparam_logpickord=3
&ajparam_list1=29&x=11&y=11">HealthCentral - Centers - Leukemia</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.leukemia.org/">Leukemia Society of America</A>

You've found an incredible forum to learn much about the disease affecting
your uncle.  I am greatful every day that I found this forum and the
wonderful and supportive people in it.  Good Luck!

Warmly,  Kathy