[MOL] Meditation Gains Ground in Hospitals [00653] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Meditation Gains Ground in Hospitals

A Therapy Gains Ground in Hospitals: Meditation
    [11/23/99; New York Times (Free Registration Required)]

As her meditation session drew to a close, Mary Bryant found it
difficult to get up from her chair. Not only was it hard to break
the calming spell cast by her instructor, but Ms. Bryant was still
stiff from running the New York City Marathon and pushing, for the
whole 26 miles, a flower-strewed wheelchair dedicated to a late
friend and fellow breast cancer patient.

Finally, the tall, slender Ms. Bryant summoned her resolve and managed
to stand while repeating her teacher's suggested thought, "I am here
now." She added her own twist, "I am here now, and I am cancer free."

It seemed a fitting mantra for the inaugural meditation class at
Memorial
Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's new Integrative Medicine Service in
Manhattan, where patients can also get massages, acupuncture,
nutritional advice and a crack at playing Tibetan bowls.

[NOTE: Access to articles on 'The New York On The Web' is free,
but you must first register with them. We recommend you
do this at:
        http://www.nyt.com/subscribe/sub-bin/new_sub.cgi
]