[MOL] Diane - how did it go? [00622] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Diane - how did it go?

Diane Peppers wrote:

> Dear Joicy...well..I did it..I now look like G.I. Jane...LoL...(Demi Moore has
> nothing on me tho) My ex-sister-in-law trimmed me right down to the wood. Not as
> bad as I thought it would be.

[[ Good for you! I had my hairdresser do mine, while my husband
videotaped it; she cried, and i laughed! I liked taking control of it. I
figured ok, I don't have control about losing it, but i can say when and
how! ]]

Tomorrow at work will be a bit strained tho I
> think. People are just now dealing with the fact that I had cancer..now this. A
> young girl at work said something to me as well that made me think. She told me
> I should wear the bald head proudly...it is a statement of bravery and the fact
> that I am a cancer survivor.

[[ She's right. But something else to consider -- most people are scared
of cancer, and scared of saying something that will be insensitive. So
that's why I decided to not hide the head completely, and to raise the
issue myself with jokes and smalltalk. What i found was, when you're
comfortable with it, others quickly become comfortable with it too, and
often have questions. I decided I could use my situation as a way to
educate others, and to bring positive attention to it. ]]

I guess maybe once I get over the initial sudden
> baldness then it will be easier. As you said, this was at MY hands..not the
> cancer. Altho, like you, I kinda look forward to not having to shampoo, blow
> dry, style....etc..etc. It won't take as much to get ready for work in the
> mornings.

[[ Oh, do I miss that! I have very thick hair and it si so darn
time-consuming; who would ever think you could actually MISS being bald,
LOL!]]

> Your daughter is a very smart person. So true what she said. We have enough to
> worry about. We don't need to worry about something else that is out of our
> control. Who knows, I may set a new trend at work. There is another woman I work
> with who has lost her hair as well. We will declare a "bald day"..LoL

[[ I think you should! Hey someone sent me a quote today that kind of
applies in an odd way:

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the
street bald and still think they are beautiful."

I did go totally bald at times, and you know, something about it was
just sooo liberating! I will carry that good feeling with me always. ]]]

> How long after the soreness did your's all fall out? I can't believe how sore
> this is. Will it be like this each time after chemo or is this just because of
> the initial hair fallling out thing?

[[ For me, the discomfort was only for a few weeks. Hopefully for you,
too ]]

> I have heard it ocmes back bigger and better so I am looking forward to that. I
> am thankful that I have a boyfriend who has no problem having a bald girlfriend.
> As a matter of fact, he insisted that I go ahead and shave my head.

[[[ yes, having the right partner sure does make a difference. So glad
you have that sweetie, and yes it does come back better and thicker --
which also had my hairdresser worried, since she already has to give me
2 appointments because my hais so thick, LOL! ]]]

> Thank you so much for the words of wisdom. I will let you know how it goes
> tomorrow.

[[[ I hope all went great. And I want you to know that I actually got a
big promotion a year after my treatment. The President told me it was in
large part because of the way I had dealt with he cancer, and yes, it
can be an opportunity to show what you're made of! Bad stuff happens to
everyone; the question is, how do we choose to deal with it? I can tell
you're a fighter, too, Diane, and i know you will do great!

I'm rooting for you! love, Joicy

ps
You may want to check into acupuncture an herbs to help you with fatigue
and other chemo side effects -- I had a really bad reaction to the
chemo, and wow, what a difference it made for me...just a thought :-)