[MOL] FDA SAAYS DIET PRODUCT DANGEROUS! [00472] Medicine On Line

[MOL] FDA SAAYS DIET PRODUCT DANGEROUS!

FDA Says Diet Product Dangerous

      Weight-conscious consumers are advised not to use a diet supplement believed to contain a strong thyroid hormone that could lead to heart attack or stroke.
      The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned consumers Thursday not to use Triax Metabolic Accelator, made by Syntax Innovations Inc. of Cape Girardeau, Mo. The FDA says the product is not a diet aid, but rather an unapproved new drug that contains a potent thyroid hormone.
      The product is sold in stores and over the Internet. The FDA says doctors have reported several cases of people who had abnormal thyroid function tests after using the drug.
      The product contains an active ingredient called triiodothyroacetic acid (TRIAC). The FDA urges anyone who has a product with TRIAC to stop using it and consult a physician. Adverse affects may include insomnia, nervousness, sweating and diarrhea.
Warmly, lillian