[MOL] Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:00:55 -0800 [00467] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:00:55 -0800

Warmly, lillian

more....

----- Original Message -----
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
To: <firefly@islc.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 5:45 AM
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown

> The original message was received at Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:01:57 -0500 (EST)
> from pp66.islc.net [208.236.113.66]

> <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>

> ... while talking to lists.meds.com.:
> <<< 550 <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>... Relaying denied
> 550 <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>... User unknown

ATT00543.dat

---- Begin included message ----
Hb Counts

When it comes to your health, Hb counts!

What's Hb?
Hb stands for hemoglobin. Hb is important, because it carries oxygen to all parts of your body.

Where Is It?
Hb is in special cells in your bloodstream.
These cells are called red cells.

Why Does It Count?
Your body needs fuel to run, just like a car.
The oxygen carried by Hb is the fuel your body needs to stay active.

Can I Count On It?
Normally your body makes enough red cells. But some things can keep your body from making enough red cells. If this happened, your Hb count would drop and your body wouldn't get enough oxygen. HIV and drugs used to treat HIV such as AZT can cause this. A shortage of nutrients such as iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid can also lower Hb counts.

What Happens When There's Not Enough?
Anemia develops. Over time, you would become tired physically and mentally. Have you ever held your breath for longer than a minute? Do you remember how tired you were afterward? With anemia, you would feel tired all the time. Even extra sleep wouldn't help you feel better.

How Can I Check It Out?
Ask your doctor for a blood test to check your Hb. Normal Hb counts, or levels, are 14-18 g/dL for men and 12-16 g/dL for women. Another way your doctor can check it out is by measuring your HCT (hematocrit, also called "crit").

Can It Go Back up?
There are ways you can get your Hb count back up to normal. Your doctor will help you decide which way is best for you.

Taking Charge of Your Health

Have your Hb and HCT checked regularly.

  • Seek nutritional advice to include iron- and vitamin-rich foods and supplements in your diet.
  • Plan your activities to save energy and prevent fatigue.
  • Be informed about all your medicines and treatments, including what they do and their side effects.
  • Be sure to ask your doctor any questions you have about your disease and/or treatment.
Warmly, lillian

---- End included message ----