[MOL] Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:58:27 -0800 [00465] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:58:27 -0800

Warmly, lillian

more....

----- Original Message -----
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
To: <firefly@islc.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 5:45 AM
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown

> The original message was received at Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:58:04 -0500 (EST)
> from pp66.islc.net [208.236.113.66]

> <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>

> ... while talking to lists.meds.com.:
> <<< 550 <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>... Relaying denied
> 550 <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>... User unknown

ATT00499.dat

---- Begin included message ----

Sample Female CBC

A CBC measures the levels of the three basic blood cells -- white cells, red cells, and platelets. Just click on any linked word or number to read about what it means.

Test Result Flag Units Reference Interval

CBC WITH DIFFERENTIAL

White Blood Count 7.2
x 10-3/mL 4.0-10.5
Red Blood Count
3.25 L x 10-6/mL 4.20-5.40
Hemoglobin
10.1 L g/dL 12.0-16.0
Hematocrit
28.9 L % 37.0-47.0
Platelets 302
x 10-3/mL 140-415
Polys
43 L % 45-76
Lymphs
48 H % 17-44
Monocytes 7
% 3-10
Eos 2
% 0-4
Basos 0
% 0-2
Polys (absolute) 3.1
x 10-3/mL 1.8-7.8
Lymphs (absolute) 3.5
x 10-3/mL 0.7-4.5
Monocytes (absolute) 0.5
x 10-3/mL 0.1-1.0
Eos (absolute) 0.1
x 10-3/mL 0.0-0.4
Basos (absolute) 0.0
x 10-3/mL 0.0-0.2

Result column: shows counts that fall within the normal range.

Flag column: shows counts that are lower ("L") or higher ("H") than the normal range.

Reference Interval (or Reference Range) column: shows the normal range for each measurement. Different labs may use different Reference Intervals. The ranges for your test results may be slightly different, depending on where your results are processed.

White blood cells: help protect you from infections. For this patient, the total white cell count is 7.2 -- within the normal range of 4.0 to 10.5.

Red blood cells: carry oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. This patient has a red cell count of 3.25 -- lower than the normal range of 4.20 to 5.40, and therefore shown in the Flag column.

Hemoglobin (Hb or Hgb): the part of the red cell that carries the oxygen. Our sample patient's Hb count is 10.1, which is below the normal range of 12.0 to 16.0. The hematocrit (HCT), another way of measuring the amount of Hb, is also low. This means that he has mild anemia and may be starting to notice symptoms.

Depending on your age and whether you're a man or woman, these three ranges will vary. For women, they will be lower than those shown here. For example, the Hb Reference Interval for a man is 14.0 to 18.0.

Platelets: the cells that form blood clots that stop bleeding. The platelet count for this patient is normal.

Differential: part of the CBC that shows the counts for the five main kinds of white cells, either as percentages (the first 5 counts), or as the number of cells (the second 5 counts). This patient has a lower than normal poly count (also called PMNs or neutrophils) and a higher than normal lymph count (short for lymphocytes), which could be signs of a bacterial or viral infection.

Warmly, lillian

---- End included message ----