Re: [MOL] angeostatin&endostatin [00323] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] angeostatin&endostatin

Dear Ryan:
    Endostatin is currently in Phase I clinical trials at Dana Farber.  There
were 1400 applicants the first day and they are being chosen by lottery.  The
trial is being sponsored by the drug company Entremed.  Two other Phase I
trials have either started or will shortly start at Anderson in Houston and U
of Wisconsin in Madison (these two trials are sponsored by the NCI with
slightly different criteria).  One of the criteria at Dana Farber is that the
patient has tried every other possible modality and failed and has six months
to live.  At Anderson they need to sample the tumors very often for change so
in the case of my husband who has lung cancer it would be impossible to get
to his tumor without doing a major operation.
There has been a lot of excitement and media hype about endostatin but it has
NEVER been tried on humans before this trial and may not fulfill its promise.
 This happened with interleukin-2 and interferon.  I think someone on the
list mentioned endostatin is available in Mexico but I am dubious it's the
same thing  because it's a very unstable drug and very difficult to
reproduce, thus the long wait since Jonas Folkman first did his work on this
at Harvard almost 20 years ago.  Believe me, I'd like to try something like
this on my husband who has Stage IV lung cancer.  There are other angiogensis
agents around you might do some research on or ask your doctor about.  Sorry
I can't be more helpful.  Good luck.  Bess