Re: [MOL] angeostatin&endostatin/reply [00313] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] angeostatin&endostatin/reply

Hi Ryan!  Am sorry to hear about your Dad.  I wanted you to know that
endostatin is in trial at MD ANDERSON HOSPITAL. Houston, Texas.  Sometimes
you are able to get permission from the FDA for the ussage of certain drugs
for compasionate reason and this is done through the doctor treating your
father.  In any event, here is a lot of informational sites to help and also
a resource location site.  Your friend, lillian

The Latest Cancer Fighting Drugs

Just recently (Feb '98) the media was ablaze with news of two new cancer
drugs, Endostatin and Angeostatin. These drugs were successful in
eliminating tumorous cancers in rats.

Here is how they work: tumors have a very high rate of metabolism and
require lots of nutrition. Cancer patients actually die of starvation as the
tumor gets the nutrition the patient needs. Requiring this much nutrition
means that many blood vessels to the tumor are needed, and tumors are
constantly growing new blood vessels, a process known as angeogenesis. These
new drugs are anti-angeogenesis, meaning they stop the growth of new blood
vessels, and stop the metastasis of cancer by not allowing the cancer cells
to aggregate and grow (they, in effect, die of starvation).

The anti-angeogenesis approach to cancer is not a new one. The drugs are
new, but there are natural alternatives already available. Shark cartilage
and bovine cartilage are two that have been used to fight cancer for the
past fifteen years (but not in this country).

Additionally, our friend the soy bean contains genistein. Genistein is a
wonderful phytochemical that stops the proliferation of cancer cells, and
its antiangeogenesis properties are on a par with the cartilages mentioned.

In all fairness to humanity, while the FDA required studies for the release
of a new drug are being conducted on these new drugs, we should all write
our representatives to force the people in charge to compare these drugs to
their natural analogues. The drug companies don't want us to request this,
because when these drugs are released, they will be expensive and will sell
faster than the latest drug for male impotence. Top

                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Articles TOC

Wellness Directory of Minnesota Home Page

Copyright  1995, 1998
Wellness Directory of Minnesota
612-689-WELL

You may copy, print, reprint, and transfer this entire article, if and only
if you send it unmodified in its complete state with this copyright notice
attached.

                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NCI CLinical Trials:
http://cancertrials.nci.nih.gov/NCI_CANCER_TRIALS/zones/PressInfo/Angio/

Another clinical trial source URL:
http://www.news.wisc.edu/misc/endostatin/patients.html

Article regarding the makers with contact sales info.
http://www.sgo.org/news/99/Jul/in06259d.htm

And this site sells it!
http://www.calbiochem.com/products/Spotlight.htm

Warmly, lillian