[MOL] Some Good New Friends! [00206] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Some Good New Friends!

Downward Trend in Cancer Deaths Predicted

DENVER, CO—A modest but steady decrease in cancer death rates seen in the United States since 1990 is the early beginning of a long-term downward trend in cancer death rates, according to a report co-authored by a University of Colorado Health Sciences Center physician. In the report, the research team led by Tim Byers, M.D., M.P.H., professor of preventive medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, said that past decreases in tobacco use, improvements in diet, wider use of cancer-screening exams, and improved treatments are major factors contributing to predicted continuing decline. The report also said that expanded efforts to further reduce cancer risk factors, increase screenings, and improve treatments over the next decade could have a substantial impact on reducing cancer death rates.

Warmly, lillian