[MOL] Lung-Cancer Risk Higher for women.... [00131] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Lung-Cancer Risk Higher for women....

Lung-Cancer Risk Higher for Women

      Older women who smoke face double the risk of developing lung cancer compared with men of the same age who also smoke.
      That's according to a new study conducted by researchers at New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. After screening 1,000 people 60 and older, they found the risk of lung cancer was 2.3 times greater for women than men.
      The findings suggest that women have a greater vulnerability to cigarettes' carcinogens than men, researchers reported Tuesday at the American College of Chest Physicians meeting in Chicago, Ill. Other researchers attending the meeting suggested that women, in general, may smoke more than men or that women may be checked for lung cancer more often than men.

Warmly, lillian