RE: [MOL] Kathy...thank you. [00118] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Kathy...thank you.

Dear Andrea:  I don't mind you asking at all about my prognosis.  It was
about 25% -- not good -- since sclc is very aggressive and moves rapidly.
Fortunately, mine was confined to one lung.  I had been a smoker, too, but I
quit immediately and haven't had a cigarette since.  My ex-husband promised
to quit, but of course, he didn't.

I was accepted on a clinical trial out of the University of Colorado.  In
other words, I was a guinea pig.  The chemo I was given was massive,
according to the pharmacist -- a combination of Cisplatin, Carboplatin,
Taxotere, Taxol, and VP 16.  He said they figured I could withstand it
because I'm in fairly good physical shape for my age.  I couldn't eat much
during the chemo, I was severely nauseated, agitated, anxious, my vision was
impaired, you name it -- but the doctors gave me whatever I needed to make
me more comfortable.  I lost a lot of weight -- got down to barely over 100
lbs., and I lost every single hair I ever had -- including eyelashes!  LOL
The radiation was tough, too, and my esophagus got fried -- burned,
actually, and I had to be put on a feeding tube for a couple of weeks.  It
healed, though, and eventually my sense of taste came back, my appetite came
back, and my hair, my glorious new hair!  It came back very dark, very
thick, and with almost no gray at all!  Eyelashes are longer than before and
eyebrows bushier.  My complexion is better, and my weight is back up to
about 115, so I look okay.  Now that my heart has been repaired, my oxygen
levels are way up and I have a lot more energy than I did before I got sick.

During the chemotherapy, my ex-husband left me home alone almost every night
of the week while he was out drinking and crying to his friends that his
wife was dying.  His "friends" began to wonder why he was out drinking if
his wife was dying!  I wasn't, of course, and eventually his friends were no
longer his friends!  Of course, he sought the comfort of every sympathetic
female he could find.

I'm not making light of anyone's situation, because I know only too well how
it feels to hear those awful words, but like I said -- it can be a real
wake-up call.  No more automatic pilot for me.  Life is to live.  I intend
to do just that.

Give your mom my best, and if I can do anything to help her -- even just
talk to her -- let me know.  I would be pleased to.  That's why I joined
this forum.

Your friend, Kathy in Boise