[MOL] Making Peace, Not War, With Cancer? [00074] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Making Peace, Not War, With Cancer?

As one who has never connected with "war" images as the means of beating
cancer, I really resonated with with the writer below. If you feel the
same, you might want to follow the link to read the article excerpted
below. love, Joicy

COMMENTARY: Making Peace, Not War, With Cancer: Aren't there better
    metaphors for healing that are more in keeping with women's innate
    values?
    [11/02/99; Los Angeles Times]

Three years ago, as I approached the end of chemotherapy for breast
cancer, I received an invitation to attend my first cancer fund-raiser.
I was excited by the promise of being in a room with so many
other women who had gone through the cancer experience. I thought
it would be healing for me. I invited my best friend, Susan,
to come along. When she hesitated, I was astonished. Then I found
out why. A step ahead of me, Susan had already dipped her toe
into the cancer culture. She tried to warn me, but I plunged
right in.

The full article can be found at:

http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/19991101/t000099139.html