[MOL] patient privacy protections [00037] Medicine On Line

[MOL] patient privacy protections

HHS, Clinton unveil patient privacy protections
    [11/01/99; Reuters News Service]

NEW YORK, Oct 29 (Reuters Health) -- US Department of Health and
Human Services (HHS) Secretary Donna E. Shalala on Friday proposed
the first-ever set of national standards that would provide protections
for patients' medical records. The standards would apply to all
electronic medical records and to all health plans. At a press
briefing on Friday morning, President Clinton said, ``I'm honoring
the pledge I made in the State of the Union Address and using
the full authority of this office to create the first comprehensive
national standards for protection of medical records.

The full article can be found at:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991029/hl/cli15_1.html