RE: [MOL] red-eye's intro [01018] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] red-eye's intro

     Hell Red-Eye's,

     I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your post.  I've been
     sick with the flu for the past week and I was able to check my e-mail.

     My boyfriend, who is 33, was diagnosed with AML, subtype M2, this past
     May.  Since then we have both done a lot of research and talking to
     his doctors about treatment and what's next.  His doctor's started him
     on chemo in May.  They started him on 7 day intravenous drip of ARA-C
     and 3 days of Idarubacin.  This first round put him into remission,
     which he has been in since.  Since the first round he has had 4 more
     rounds, called consolidation, so far and he has one more to go.  The
     first round is called induction.  The consolidation rounds consist of
     just ARA-C at a higher dose, with 6 doses, spaced 12hrs apart.

     Basically what happens is the chemo kills off all of the quickly
     reproducing cells in the body, which includes the cancer as well as
     red/white blood cells and platelets as well as hair cells and the
     lining of the intestines and the stomach, which is what causes the
     nausea and hair loss.  Although the side effects can be different for
     each person.  Cory, my boryfriend, has lost his hair, although it is
     growing back and he's just as cute as ever, he has had some nausea,
     but it's been pretty much in control with the different meds they have
     given him for it.  Also, it takes about a month for his blood counts
     to get back up to a semi-normal level and during this time he is
     usually really tired and just tends to sleep a lot, which makes since,
     considering he doesn't have a whole lot of blood floating around.

     During the recovery period after the chemo he gets blood and platelet
     transfusions on a regular basis and is basically under house arrest
     because he doesn't have an immune system to fight of any random bugs
     that might come his way.  Once his counts start to rise again, they
     start the whole process over again with chemo.

     I think this is a pretty standard treatment for AML, Subtype M2, which
     is usually one Induction round and three Consolidation round. Cory's
     DR's decided to do an extra round to increase his odds of not
     relapsing.  The treatment will vary depending upon the Subtype of the
     AML.  Has your sister had a Bone Marrow Biopsy yet.  They will more
     than likely do one to determine the exact subtype.  There is a lot of
     info on the Web about AML.  Also, have her Dr's decided on a treatment
     plan yet?  Well, I would be happy to talk to you about any questions
     you might have.  I hope I can be of help.  I've found that once Cory &
     I got more information about his treatment and disease we felt a lot
     better about moving forward.

     Brandi