[MOL] B.C. Awarness Month/Chicken Soup [00997] Medicine On Line

[MOL] B.C. Awarness Month/Chicken Soup

Title:

Have some chicken soup
and get well soon.

Get Well Get Well

Get Well
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

To raise consciousness and to help this mighty cause, following we share enlightened and encouraging stories from Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul, which is a special collection of stories from those who have reached beyond the pain of body and soul to survive cancer. These stories are written specifically by women who have gone through the trials and tribulations of being diagnosed with breast cancer, and whose lives will remain an inspiration to all those who read about them.

An Affair to Remember

After breast surgery he became my best friend. On our first visit he informed me that seven weeks of fun was about to begin. He explained in layman?s terms what to expect and showed me the room and the equipment that would be used to radiate my left breast. The first visit is the longest; at least 45 minutes of immobility while the machine is set and the target spots are put on your body - my first and last tattoo, by the way. After the first two weeks of radiation, which was five days a week for a grand total of four minutes a day, the radiated area takes on a look of intense sunburn. Not only that, but the breast that is being treated goes from a size B cup to a size C or better. Wearing a bra is out of the question and the heat that radiates from the treatment area is unbelievable. It is amazing the thoughts that go through your mind while looking at the skylight and waiting for the treatment to be over. One comes to know the caregivers as well as their families. My Dr. Wollman and his staff were there to boost my morale whenever they thought I was down. I think I even boosted theirs from time to time. They might not have known it, but the hug they gave me whenever I walked in for treatment made it worth the discomfort and panic that I experienced each time.

During those seven weeks, I prayed, told jokes and meditated. When the time came to "graduate," as we call it, I cried as I bid my new family good-bye. However, I still see the dear doctor, and there is always that big smile and the warm hug that lit up my life for seven weeks. I shall never forget these caregivers and hope that every cancer patient that needs to go through radiation/chemotherapy is as lucky as I am. One is fearful at first because of the unknown; however, with the right attitude and doctor, it can almost be a cherished memory.

I had my first mammogram in October and everything is fine. It is important that we as women know our own bodies and if in doubt with one diagnosis, get a second or third if necessary. Had my new doctor not insisted that the small cyst come out, I would have ignored it. I will continue to live life to the fullest and be here the same time next year and the years after that. After all, there are many sunsets to watch and much love to give. My hope is that for all of you there is a Doctor Wollman and your affair can be one to remember with fondness and no regrets.

Linda Mitchell
From Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul
by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty Aubery
and Nancy Mitchell, R.N. copyright 1996 Canfield, Hansen,
Aubery and Mitchell
Warmly, lillian

Soup Bowl.GIF

Chicken Soup Bkgrd.gif