Re: [MOL] Diane and insurance [00987] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Diane and insurance

Hi Olivia,

In the best of all possible worlds a person applying for a job should be able
to tell their prospective employer about their situation, and I'm not saying
they shouldn't.  But in this world there are still some employers who will
find reasons not to hire someone, and health issues are just one of those
reasons.

So my advice is that a person should find out as much about what their state
laws dictate about insurance and if there are restrictions on how an employer
can let health issues affect the hiring decision.  When I was in HR I was
most grateful for people who shared their circumstances because then we were
prepared to coach them through whatever happened.  But I have to say I know
of employers who do not recognize that a person who has been through what
cancer patients have been through are the strongest willed people around.
Committed, clear of purpose and extrordinary contributors.

I'm sorry to say the world isn't perfect, so until it is... protect yourself
against small minded people who might have influence over your life.  Just my
humble opinion.

Your friend,  Kathy Q