[MOL] Lets Get Well Series 3 of 3, end! Think about it huh? [00899] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Lets Get Well Series 3 of 3, end! Think about it huh?

THE POWER OF EMOTION

    This  describes the power of our emotions to influence our health. The
normal and healthy organism will move toward emotional pleasure (comfort)
and away from emotional pain (discomfort). Emotional pain is experienced
when needs are not being met and the person experiences or anticipates
deprivation. Experiencing or anticipating deprivation signals the person of
danger and readies him to remove the threat. Emotional pleasure is
experienced when there is gratification of psychological, emotional,
physical, and spiritual needs and desires.

    While experiencing a state of emotional pleasure/comfort, the
parasympathetic nervous system is cathected (engaged), and the person's body
experiences chemical changes which create a state of physical ease mixed
with normal levels of excitement (unfolding growth potential). Optimal
physical health occurs in this state. When a person's sources of pleasure
are blocked or are perceived as blocked, the natural "movement toward"
process becomes unavailable. The natural pursuit of emotional pleasure will
not occur, and the person will instead "freeze" that desire rather than
discharging it. This "pleasure-freeze" sets up a physical and emotional
state of tension that can adversely affect our health.

----

THE CANCER-PRONE PERSONALITY

    We will explore in depth in this next section the concept of emotional
needs and how they relate to stress responses in individuals. In Chapter 9
we will cover Dr. Taibi Kahler's concept of psychological needs when we
discuss the Kahler Stress Profile for Cancer. This Stress Profile was
adapted for Cancer by Dr. Janet Hranicky. It accurately correlates an
individual's psychological needs with their personality structure. The
Kahler model shows how, when we are not getting our primary psychological
needs met consistently, we will predictably move into distress symptoms.

    By understanding the concepts of emotional needs and psychological needs
and how they relate to the process of stress, we can begin to identify
specific steps for intervention to maximize recovery potential.
Unfortunately, stress has become one of those over-used and
little-understood concepts. In attempting to locate sources of stress, a lot
of emphasis has been placed on situational factors, such as divorce,
conflicts in relationships, death of a loved one, promotion, job change, and
so forth. Although these situational factors are certainly important, many
people experience such events every day, yet do not develop cancer or other
illnesses. And conversely, many cancer patients have no greater number of
these situational factors in their lives than others who are cancer-free.

    This section will describe how stress is determined not only by
situational life events, but more importantly by our individual responses to
those events. Many cancer patients have developed a stress-prone
personality, resulting in the chronic long-term stress of emotional and
psychological needs going unmet, accompanied by attitudinal beliefs about
not being able to ever have what they truly want or need to attain personal
happiness. Coping with such long-term stress can overwhelm a person's
defense system and predispose him/her to an inability to handle a series of
situational stressors when they arise. This chronic stress response is
present not only in cancer, but also other immu