[MOL] Soy Health Claims approved by FDA .... [00877] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Soy Health Claims approved by FDA ....

FDA Approves Soy Health Claims

      If you're a firm believer in the powers of soy, you've now got the federal government to back you up.
       On Tuesday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will allow food labels to contain health claims about soy protein, specifically its role in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease. This is based on the FDA's conclusion that foods containing soy protein, when part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, can reduce heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels.
      Foods making this claim may include soy beverages, tofu, tempeh, soy-based meat alternatives and some baked goods. To carry the claim, foods must also meet requirements for low fat, low saturated fat and low cholesterol content, except for fat-free foods made with the whole soybean.

Warmly, lillian