Re: [MOL] (no subject)Painful Arm Reply! [00678] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] (no subject)Painful Arm Reply!

Diane, I went to my favorite humen body site again today, still not working
proverly.  I wanted to send you an animated picture of the lymphatic system.
Will keep trying.  Glad your work day went okay and good luck on your move
to Canada.

An Overview
The lymphatic system and the cardiovascular system are closely related
structures that are joined by a capillary system. The is important to the
body's defense mechanisms. It filters out organisms that cause disease,
produces certain white blood cells and generates antibodies. It is also
important for the distribution of fluids and nutrients in the body, because
it drains excess fluids and protein so that tissues do not swell up. "Lymph"
is a milky body fluid that contains a type of white blood cells, called
"lymphocytes," along with proteins and fats. Lymph seeps outside the blood
vessels in spaces of body tissues and is stored in the "lymphatic" system to
flow back into the bloodstream. Through the flow of blood in and out of
arteries, and into the veins, and through the lymph nodes and into the
lymph, the body is able to eliminate the products of cellular breakdown and
bacterial invasion. Two very large areas are of significance in this
system - the right lymphatic duct which drains lymph fluid from the upper
right quarter of the body above the diaphragm and down the midline, and the
thoracic duct, a structure roughly sixteen inches long located in the
mediastinum of the pleural cavity which drains the rest of the body. It is
through the actions of this system including the spleen, the thymus, lymph
nodes and lymph ducts that our body is able to fight infection and to ward
off invasion from foreign invaders. Lymph plays an important role in the
immune system and in absorbing fats from the intestines. The lymphatic
vessels are present wherever there are blood vessels and transport excess
fluid to the end vessels without the assistance of any "pumping" action.
There are more than 100 tiny, oval structures (called lymph nodes). These
are mainly in the neck, groin and armpits, but are scattered all along the
lymph vessels. They act as barriers to infection by filtering out and
destroying toxins and germs. The largest body of lymphoid tissue in the
human body is the spleen.

Warmly, lillian

more....