[MOL] Avoid Herbs before surgery.... [00559] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Avoid Herbs before surgery....

Home > News & Reports > Daily Briefing > Avoid Herbs Before Surgery
  OCTOBER 15, 1999

Avoid Herbs Before Surgery

      Popping some herbal supplements before going on the operating table may not be a good idea.
Herbs       Some popular herbs appear to prolong anesthesia, increase bleeding during surgery and cause changes in blood pressure, researchers report at the American Society for Anesthesiologists meeting in Dallas. The report is based on a survey of 979 patients about to undergo surgery. Dr. Charles McLeskey, an anethesiologist at Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Pa., found 17 percent took at least one herbal product.
      Anethesiologists and researchers recommend patients tell their surgeons about all herbal products they use, including prescription and over-the-counter remedies. The most common herbal remedies used by patients were gingko biloba, garlic, ginger and ginseng, which all appear to prevent blood clotting and may lead to more blood loss during surgery. St. John's Wort and kava may extend the effects of anesthesia.

Daily Briefings by Katrina Woznicki

Warmly, lillian

dot_clear.gif

herb_db.gif